My thanks to everyone who has expressed appreciation for my work at this news source – it does help to keep me going. Most of you are subscribers to my emails – that list is now about 960 – and some of you have heard about this service from the Northumberland Hub. A group of journalists led by John Miller and Rob Washburn are trying to educate people in Northumberland about all the sites (like this one) who provide news. (More at Northumberland Hub – link below). A lot has happened locally in 2018 and there will be more interesting stuff happening in 2019 but in between we have Christmas which is a season where everyone (hopefully) chills out and stops worrying about anything.
Below is some information on what stores are closed in Cobourg and although there’s not much (if any) commercial entertainment on Christmas Day, both Cinemas (The Loft and Rainbow) will be operating most other days.
Cobourg Christmas Information – 2018.
- The Mall will be open Sunday Dec. 23 from 10 until 5:00 pm and early Monday Dec. 24 @ 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. The Mall is closed December 25 and January 1.
- Rainbow Cinema closes after the 4:00 pm Christmas Eve film and re-opens Boxing Day. It is open New Year’s Eve but closes after the movie around 7:00 pm. It’s open New Year’s Day. Full schedule here.
- The Loft Cinema will be closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Closes New Year’s Eve at 6 pm, opens New Year’s day at 7:00 pm. Full Schedule here.
- Victoria Hall will have regular hours until Friday Dec 21, then will be closed Saturday Dec. 22 through Wednesday Dec 26. It will also close Dec 31 (New Year’s Eve) and January 1st. But be sure to go to the Mayor’s Levee on January 1st at 2:00 pm in Victoria Hall. Meet and greet the whole Council and hear the Mayor talk about past achievements and future plans.
- The Beer store will be open 10 till 6:00 pm on Christmas Eve and will be closed Christmas day but open Boxing day from 10:00 till 6:00. It will close at 6:00 pm New Year’s Eve and will be closed New Year’s Day.
- The LCBO will close Christmas Eve at 6:00 pm (both locations). They will be closed Christmas day and Boxing day.
- Most other businesses (including Banks) will be closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Day and will close early Christmas Eve.
- But some stores will be open Boxing Day – here are the specifics for Supermarkets.
|Supermarkets||Dec 24||Dec 25||Dec 26||Dec 31||Jan 1|
|No-Frills||8:00 – 6:00||Closed||10:00 – 5:00||N/A||Closed|
|Metro||N/A||Closed||9:00 – 6:00||7:00 – 6:00||Closed|
|Foodland (normally open 24 hours)||To 6:00||Closed||8:00 – 5:00||To 6:00||Closed|
|Walmart||7:00 – 6:00||Closed||6:00 – 10:00||7:00 – 6:00||Closed|
Note: N/A = Not available, that is, unknown.
For Transit schedules, go here. Look under “Days without Service”.
I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Great New Year – there’s an old cliché that says something like “May your Christmas and New Year be the best you’ve ever had” – but as you learn to mellow (or chill) out and stop worrying, this can actually happen.
- Northumberland Hub – Taking a break from Dec. 24, 2018, until Jan. 7, 2019