The long awaited “Waterfront User Needs Assessment and Detailed Design Study Report” will be presented to Council on Monday June 4 at the Council’s Committee of the Whole (C.O.W.) meeting starting at 4:00 pm. It was initially planned to have an earlier meeting at 1:00 pm but that was cancelled in favour of including the release in the C.O.W. meeting. The reason given was to have the meeting at a time better for public participation. Another difference between a “public meeting” and a C.O.W. meeting is that at a public meeting, anyone can speak without advance notification. As it happens, 12 people have given notification and are on the agenda to speak on the subject. They will be speaking before the presentation by the Consultants so will rely on the written report available for download via links in the agenda (see Links below).
The report to be presented will be virtually unchanged from that presented to the Parks and Recreation Committee on May 16. For highlights of the report, see the post on that in the links below. Also below are links to download the full report.
The 12 speakers
- Jeremy Fowlie, Head Coach of Cobourg Dragon Boat and Canoe Club
- Nancy Marshall, Past President of the Survivor Thrivers Breast Cancer Dragon Boat Team
- Margaret Bain, Willow Beach Field Naturalists
- John Geale, Past President, Northumberland Land Trust
- Lydia Smith, President, Cobourg Taxpayers Association (CTA)
- Mike Hubicki, Commodore, Cobourg Yacht Club, regarding support of the continuing evolution of Cobourg’s Waterfront and working waterfront within the Cobourg Harbour.
- Dora Body, Chair, Cobourg Ecology Garden (CEG) Committee, regarding a request that Council defer the adoption of the Waterfront User Needs Assessment and Detailed Design Plan pending a public meeting where interested parties can provide feedback.
- Dennis Nabieszko, Secretary, Cobourg Taxpayers Association
- Gavin McGuire, Environmental Intern and Gudrun Ludorf-Weaver President of Sustainable Cobourg, re Climate Change impact with Greenhouse Gas and Carbon Sequestering.
- Bob Fler, Director Learn to Sail Program, regarding support of the growth of Cobourg’s Harbour
- Vivian Vandenhazel, Cobourg Resident
- Harold Wontorra, Cobourg Resident
Many will be critical – especially about the recommended expansion of the Marina into the West Harbour, although some are in favour of that. A report on what they say will be in a future blog post. No matter the outcome, there is no money in the 2018 budget to implement significant changes so implementation will be 2019 or later which will be in the term of a new council.
- Council Agenda for Committee of the Whole meeting on June 4. – includes links to download consultant’s presentation and full report in 2 parts.
- First Look at Waterfront Study report – 17 May 2018 – includes highlights of report
(from Cobourg Internet – copied from Town site June 2, 2018)
- Consultant’s Presentation (2.8MB)
- Full Final Report – Part 2 without Appendices (5.6MB – compressed significantly compared to original – no change in content)
- Appendices to report (28MB – compressed significantly compared to original – no change in content)