I voted today and my experience was positive although some problems voting by phone have already been reported (more under Links). I’m reporting my experience in detail below so people know what to expect. Like any voting process, it has faults in the registering of who is eligible – the list is not perfect and to some extent relies on people not abusing the system by reporting errors or simply not voting twice when they receive two notices! The basic list is generated by MPAC “principally based on property assessment data and the results of previous enumeration efforts”. It seems that this is the principal source of errors and would apply to any technology used for voting. One concern is that there might not be a provision to decline to vote but that has been addressed (see details below).
There are various sources available – here is a list:
- Cobourg Internet Municipal Election Page – Includes links to Posts where Candidates answer 7 leading questions
- Northumberland Chamber of Commerce list of questions and answers – Pdf Hosted by CTA
- Summary of Candidates as described by Radio Station Northumberland 89.7 FM
- Cobourg Taxpayers questions to Candidates
- Debate between Deputy Mayor Candidates
- Interviews on Cogeco-TV – available on You-Tube here
There is very little information available online about School Trustee Candidates. All I can suggest is to look at the online info that the Trustees have posted. For their links go here.
Online Voting process
The process below was what I saw. When written down it seems complex but I found it straightforward and easy to do. The longest, trickiest part was the follow-up optional survey.
- In a browser enter: Cobourg.evote2018.ca
- Click continue
- Enter PIN (no spaces) – you should have received one in the mail some time ago.
Hint. To confirm you have entered the correct number, click the eye icon at the right of the PIN box.
- Enter Date of Birth
- Check “I am not a robot” – if the computer at Google thinks you might be a robot, you’ll be asked to choose some images.
- Click Login
- You will then get a page listing ballots available to you. Don’t bother clicking Mayor (since he’s acclaimed) but one by one, do click the others. On my page I also saw Deputy Mayor, Councillors, Trustee, School Board. Click one to proceed
- You will then see choices of the candidates running as well as the option to “Spoil this ballot” and “Decline to vote this ballot”. You will only be permitted to vote for 5 candidates for Council and for 2 Public School Trustees.
- Click Continue
- On a screen showing your choices, click Confirm
- Go back to the other ballots.
- When the entry screen shows that you have voted for all ballots, exit
- You will then be asked to complete an optional survey – it says it takes 5 minutes – I took 7 minutes and I was fairly quick making choices.
If you have a problem I suggest you go to a Voter Help Location:
- Victoria Hall – 10 am to 4:30 pm on Oct 15 to 19 and 10:00 am to 8:00 pm on Oct 22
- Cobourg Public Library – same dates/times as Vic Hall
Or call Brent Larmer, Municipal Clerk. He is the person in the Town responsible for the election. Reach him at: 905 372-4301 ext. 4207 or email@example.com
- CTA Special Bulletin detailing some problems with telephone voting.
- Town Web site with voting information. It includes a note posted today about voting instructions for Telephone voting.