In June, Town staff presented the options for the East Pier and Campground and asked that a consultant be hired to present this to the public. Council instead asked that staff present it to the public without a consultant and present results in time for Council to consider them in Budget deliberations. This is what happened at an open house at the CCC on Thursday evening. The event had a good number of Community Services and other staff explaining the options with the help of 11 displays (see photos below). Most councillors were there too. Citizens could submit comments or sign up for emailed updates. The open house did not really provide any additional information – the benefit was that it was presented at a meeting and not just online.
There are two parts to the East Pier project: Repair and Enhancements – both were presented. Repairs can be as simple as converting the pier to pedestrian use only (cost $440K) up to restoring full usage (cost $3.8M). On top of that there is the cost of enhancements that add up to another $1M. (See link below re East Pier and Campground Report). Note that there is no estimate provided to upgrade the pier to “as-new condition” – see Engineering report below. Although it is expected that in upcoming 2020 budget deliberations, Council will include at least some of the money for some of the work, Mayor John Henderson said that the entire Waterfront plan implementation and its costs would be spread out over 20 years.
Note that the online forum at Engage Cobourg will stay open until September 23.
In addition to pier and campground (Trailer park) repairs and upgrades, at the same time, the Coast Guard is planning to replace their building as described in an earlier article – a panel was also made to provide feedback on that.
See the photos below and the links below them for more on this project. Note that in the photos, you will see photos and graphics with numbers (e.g. 4.5 etc.) – these refer to “initiatives” described in the full Waterfront Plan (available for Download from the links below).
- Council decides on East Pier Consultation Process – 4 July 2019
- East Pier and Campground Report – 29 June 2019 – includes cost estimates for repair and enhancement options
- Engage Cobourg – East Pier – Go online to give feedback to Town
- Engage Cobourg – Campground – Go online to give feedback to Town
- Engineering report on the Pier – Full report by Engineering consultant on state of East pier including recommended repair options – December 2018
- Coast Guard Plans a New Building on East Pier – 7 August 2019
- First Look at Waterfront Study report – includes Waterfront Study highlights such as East Pier proposal. 17 May 2018
- Waterfront Plan – part 1 – Download pdf
- Waterfront Plan – Appendices – Download pdf
Remember that news items that do not warrant a full article (for whatever reason) or which are continuations of an existing article can often be found in the News Update box on the home page of this blog. There are currently four short items there that you may find interesting.