In a planned rework of Advisory committees, the concept of Sustainability was moved from the Planning and Sustainability Advisory Committee and incorporated in every committee. This meant that this committee would drop Sustainability from its title and focus on just planning. Separately, the Environmental/Active Transportation Advisory Committee would be split into two: a Transportation Advisory Committee and an Environmental and Climate Change Advisory Committee. Brent also suggested that a decision on committees could be postponed until after the Strategic Planning sessions. In a follow up, at the Council meeting on February 4, Gigi Ludorf-Weaver proposed some strategic goals that would help establish a “Culture of Sustainability” in the Town. But later in the meeting, Council approved the new committee structure with only a minor mention of what Gigi had proposed (item 3 below).
So what did Gigi propose?
Goal: To establish a “Culture of Sustainability” that will support a new position of “Sustainability Officer” for Cobourg and the County of Northumberland.
- Create a definition for sustainability – Gigi suggested the definition used by Sustainable Cobourg as a starting point (their web site is here)
- Develop a Sustainability Charter
- Create a Sustainability Climate Change Advisory Committee
- Create a Sustainability Office within the Mayor’s or CAO’s office
- Develop a model for all Advisory Committees where there is a designated Sustainability Representative on each one who will report to the Sustainability Officer
- Provide workshops (Lunch and Learn) to ensure that Town administrators, its councillors, staff, volunteers, committee members all have the same understanding of what is meant by “Sustainability”.
Gigi also asked that the Town incorporate its Vision for Sustainability in its Vision and Mission Statements.
When the agenda item to approve the Terms of Reference bylaw for the committees (not just advisory committees) came before Council, Councillor Emily Chorley proposed two amendments:
- Change the title of the Environmental and Climate Change Advisory Committee to become the Sustainability and Climate Change Advisory Committee. This amendment was approved. So Sustainability is, after all, the focus of one of the committees.
- To get more turnover of committee members, the proposed 8 year term was reduced to 6 years. This was also approved.
So the new advisory committees will be:
- Accessibility Advisory Committee;
- Transportation Advisory Committee (new)
- Sustainability and Climate Change Advisory Committee. (new)
- Cobourg Heritage Advisory Committee;
- Planning and Development Advisory Committee; (now renamed)
- Parks and Recreation Advisory Committee;
- Cobourg Downtown Coalition Advisory Committee
Note that the Economic Development Advisory Committee will be disbanded. This is now “final” although Council can always pass a new bylaw if more changes are wanted.
- Changes recommended for advisory committees – 23 January 2019
- Terms of Reference bylaw for Committees – Pdf on Town’s Portal – as proposed before the modifications re the title of one committee and the length of term of members.