Since November 2016, Keith Oliver has been coming before Council to campaign for an adult Fitness Park and in May 2018, the Waterfront study included Outdoor Adult Fitness as one of its goals. Since this was approved by council, Town support seems to be mandated. Last June, Keith won Council support for help in applying to the Federal Government for a grant and also spoke of success in fundraising from the Cobourg Community. He was not so successful in getting support in recent budget sessions but at the Committee of the Whole Meeting on 27 January 2020, he tried again and said that Council support was needed before other donors (such as Rotary) would contribute. This time he succeeded in getting support but not exactly per his request (see link below to video of his presentation).
Keith asked that the Town allocate $25K from the 2020 budget but if the Federal grant is approved, then that would not be needed and could be used for something else. [Photo from June Presentation]
As an action on the subject, Councillor Emily Chorley made a motion which passed and is now up for ratification at the regular Council meeting on 3 February.
WHEREAS at the Committee of the Whole Meeting on January 27, 2020, Council considered a delegation from Keith Oliver, Cobourg Fitness Park Working Group, regarding the proposed Adult Fitness Park in the Town of Cobourg;
NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED THAT should the application for a $25,000 New Horizons Grant be successful, that Council:
- Provide the Fitness Park Working Group with a letter of endorsement to aid their community fundraising efforts; and
- authorize staff to work with the fitness Park Working Group, where appropriate, to submit additional grant applications;
AND FURTHER THAT Council consider funding up to $25,000 of the project, if needed, in the 2021 Capital Budget.
Although Council is proposing to fund from the 2021 budget, Keith said that spending must be completed by November 2020. The idea is that an adult Fitness Park would be installed in Victoria Park, near the beach/boardwalk. Not all Councillors are convinced that it’s a good idea (Brian Darling and Nicole Beatty voted against Emily’s Motion) so the vote on Emily’s motion will be interesting.
- Adult Fitness Park – earlier presentation to Council – 21 November 2016 – Council Agenda – go to page 42
- Dedicated Web site – by Keith Oliver and Hilda Bryan-Seet
- Keith Oliver wins support for Outdoor Fitness Park – 11 June 2019
- Waterfront Study Part 1 – pdf – May 2018 – Adult Fitness is Goal 5.10
- Presentation by Keith as recorded on You-Tube – on Town’s You-Tube so will be removed in 3 months.
Update – 3 February
At the regular Council meeting, with no additional debate, Council ratified the above decision with votes going the same way – only Brian Darling and Nicole Beatty voted against. I guess they either don’t read the comments on this blog or they ignore them.