At Monday’s Council meeting, Councillor Nicole Beatty, in her coordinator role, reported on activity in the Planning Department. Her list was long and included projects adding perhaps 1000 new housing units – most of these in Cobourg’s East End but some in the West part of Town. Although there is a list of planning projects on the Town’s web site, Nicole’s list was longer and included some interesting updates. She did not provide a publicly available transcript [Update: full Transcript now available – see Links – Thanks Nicole] but I have provided highlights below including updates on some old projects as well as newer ones. See the links below if you want the whole thing. She finished with a comment on how busy the Department was and that it was understaffed but hoped to hire two planners soon.
Included are additional details that were not part of Nicole’s report. Photo is file photo of Nicole from 2019.
- The Densmore Meadows Condo development is located north of St. Mary’s and was approved in 2013. Selling started in about 2017 but although pre-servicing work has been completed, “construction has stalled and the property is under power of sale”. There are discussions with potential buyers but there is no date for completion.
- The Golden Plough Lodge has received final approval subject to ratification which will come to Council shortly. Construction is expected to start this Fall. Details here.
- The Balder project on University and William has been approved – construction is expected to start “in the coming weeks”. Details here.
- The new Mall Strip Plaza and driveway re-alignment have been approved and construction can start. More here and an update here.
- The new 6 plex in New Amherst has been approved and construction is expected to start “in the coming weeks”. This will be a three storey building with 6 units and is proposed for the SE Corner of New Amherst Blvd. & Charles Wilson Parkway.
- The Holiday Inn Express next to Home Depot is approved except for work needed on sanitary sewers. More here.
- The expansion/conversion of Foodland to Sobeys has been delayed – the latest is that construction should start in 2021. Details here
- The Legion project is nearing completion. That’s a new “clubhouse” on the ground floor with Condos above on what was originally their car park. Occupancy is expected in the Fall and then the old building will be demolished to become their new car park. When proposed it was contentious and was the subject of an OMB hearing which the Town lost. A little bit more here.
- The Certo building on the old Kraft property is falling down but FSD Pharma promised to restore it. Although FSD Pharma is no longer growing Cannabis and has the property up for sale, they have now hired a company to restore the south gable brick wall and replace the roof. Work is expected to start in the next few weeks. More on FSD Pharma here. More on the Certo Building here.
- In December 2019, a Town wide Community Improvement Plan was started with the idea of providing incentives to build affordable housing. More details here. A page to gather citizen input was started on Engage Cobourg with a schedule that was extended due to the Covid-19 crisis (completion is now scheduled for October 2020). Nicole said that the resulting documents would be on that page for citizen review starting September 1. She also announced that there will be a public meeting in the Concert Hall at Victoria Hall on September 28 at 5:00 pm – subject to Victoria Hall being open by then.
- Work on the delayed Comprehensive Zoning ByLaw review has restarted and is now expected to be completed by September 2021.
If you want to know the status of a project not included in my highlights, you could start by watching the video of Nicole giving her report – see link below. More details are on the Planning Department’s web page (also see link below) but not all projects are listed there.