At Monday’s C.O.W. Council meeting, as well as the Coast Guard re-development, two other projects were also approved: the Golden Plough Lodge (GPL) and the 27 Townhomes by Mason Homes at 425 King East (pre-servicing and sub-division agreement). Mr. Mason was there to suggest that a chain link fence would be better than a wooden one but was otherwise happy and thought that construction would start next Spring. He said that chain link blends better with trees and lasts longer but neighbours wanted privacy and wood is better for that so wood will be used. (See links below for the full Planning report and earlier articles). The GPL project was first initiated in 2016 and residents should move in during the summer of 2022 – more details including schedule dates below.
GPL Project – Key dates
- Project Initiated – 2016
- Award of contract for design engineering – April 2018
- Plans/design approved by Town: 13 August 2020
- Plans/design approved by Province: 19 August 2020
- Tenders issued: 2 September 2020
- Approval of agreement with Church on Hill (by them): 14 September 2020
- Phase 1 – Construction of new Building – Start in Fall of 2020
- Residents move to new building – summer 2022
- Phase 2 – Demolition of old building – 2022-2023
- Phase 3 – Site Remediation – Summer 2023
When complete, there will be a large area to the north west of the property which will be available for any future County requirements.
The County has a web page which will provide ongoing reports on progress.
In response to a question, the representative from the Design Architects said that the “design will meet or exceed expected recommendations by the Provincial Committee reviewing long term care homes – but changes can still be made if required. The committee is scheduled to issue their report in April 2021.”
The Town will get $322K in Building permit fees for the GPL project plus $5k in a tree levy but will get no development charges since the County is exempt from those.
Since these approvals were at a Committee of the Whole meeting, they will need to be ratified at next week’s regular Council Meeting – this is expected to be just a formality.
A selection of images from the Planning report
- Development News – 27 February 2019 – includes plan for Mason Homes at 425 King East
- Update on Golden Plough Lodge
- Planning report for GPL
- Planning Report for Mason Homes