Over the last two years, the Victoria Park Beach Canteen has been operated by the owners of Market and Smor, the downtown boutique greengrocer, but for 2020, a new operator is being sought. As well as the canteen operation, there were four weekends in 2018 and two in 2019 when the nearby “courtyard” was used for licensed events with entertainment. The Town deemed them a success and has seemingly prompted a suggestion that the new Canteen operator might also offer a licensed service (presumably beer and wine and in the Courtyard). The RFP issued by the Town on 21 February says that they “will consider alcohol as part of this RFP. The Town of Cobourg is open to all ideas for providing the food and beverage service for Victoria Park. The successful proponent may offer to sell alcohol on site throughout the season.”
The RFP asks proponents to make offers that can be a flat fee or a share of the profit. Although the previous operator had a profit share contract, no details of their gross sales, fee paid or any other details have been made public so proponents would need to estimate based on their experience in the business. And that’s the other thing that’s emphasized in the RFP – anyone making a proposal must be experienced in this type of business. Proponents are asked to provide a list of “references of similar services provided”.
Other notable requirements are:
- A mandatory Proponents’ Meeting: Tuesday March 3, 10:00 a.m. Victoria Park Canteen when the premises would be shown and all details made clear.
- The contract will be for a term of 3 years with an option to renew for an additional 2 years based on mutual agreement. However, the RFP asks proponents if they would like a different term.
- Expected minimum hours are the same as previously: 7 days a week, from May 24th (Victoria Day) weekend to Labour Day, from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Hours may be extended based on weather and events.
- Special event organizers may bring in their own food vendors for the duration of their events.
- All staff members employed by the Contractor must be dressed in suitable approved uniforms. All uniforms must be kept neat and clean. The staff must be qualified and experienced in the food and beverage industry and have good public relations skills.
- The contract will be for 3 years with an option to renew for 2 more.
It’s implied that proponents may modify the building and add signage. It seems that the Town may be hoping for a proposal from a major vendor of food and beverage operations. They distributed RFP’s to possible vendors although their names were not made public.
Bids close on March 10, 2020 and it’s planned to award a contract in April 2020.
- Busy Day at Victoria Park and Beach – 15 July 2018
- Beach Courtyard Summer series – 11 June 2018
- Busy Opening day for Market and Smor – 15 Feb 2019.