There are a good number of projects happening in Cobourg, some residential and some commercial, and Councillor Nicole Beatty (file photo below) occasionally gives a comprehensive report of what the Planning Department has on its plate. One of these occasions was tonight’s regular Council meetings. Highlights of her report are provided below or you can download her full report. Since it’s an update, there’s not a lot of detail on most projects but you can get more detail by following the links embedded or listed below. Major projects include the work at the Mall, the development by Mason Homes at 425 King Street East and affordable housing projects. There’s also info on Downtown projects and a Heritage project. Some have been in planning since early 2019 or earlier – it seems major projects have a long time scale.
- If you have been to the mall over the past few months you’ve seen progress on the work next to Dollarama – I believe Giant Tiger is scheduled to open there in May. Work on the strip plaza on Elgin is also moving along – that’s where Starbucks is supposed to go although recently this has been questioned.
- Cedar Shores at Maher and 589 King Street West is progressing. They plan to sell building lots for upscale homes.
- At the Cobourg Legion Condos on Orr Street, owners have started to move in as floors get completed. Construction is ongoing on the interior for the Legion themselves to move in. The existing Legion building will be removed once the Legion occupies the new space. No timeline is available for this.
- Work continues on the Certo building even though the Cannabis company is abandoning its plan for the factory. The first thing to be fixed was the roof which has now mostly been completed. Last I looked online, the complete property is back on the market at an asking price of $19M. (Listing here)
- Phase 2 of the 66 unit affordable housing apartment complex on Munroe Street is nearing completion with occupancy expected within the next several weeks.
- The Elgin Park affordable/market rental re-development is progressing and construction on the 71 unit mixed affordable/market rental building at 325 University Avenue West by Balder Corporation is well underway.
- The new owner of the Woodlawn property at 420 Division Street has re-submitted their rezoning application in response to input received at their public meeting in the Fall. Nicole reports that “Staff are reviewing the information with the consultant undertaking the review of rehabilitation/treatment facilities as part of the Comprehensive Zoning By-law Update.”
For more details on projects, be sure to check out the links below.
- Nicole’s Full Planning and Development Coordinator’s Report
- Town of Cobourg Planning information Page – get more details on projects here
Previous Cobourg News Blog articles
- Cobourg Planning Update – highlights – Previous planning update – 2 September 2020
- Major projects Continue during Covid-19 crisis – Get more info on many of the projects – 27 May 2020
- Development News – includes site map of Mason Homes Development – 27 February 2019
- Work to start on restoring Certo Building – 24 February 2020