The annual and very popular sandcastle competition on Cobourg’s Beach is not happening this year but instead the DBIA and the Town have created a virtual competition. They have placed 18 signs around Town – not just downtown – and to participate, you have to go look at the signs. Each sign has clues as to the location/name of one of the many Sandcastle Festivals in other parts of Canada and the World – see the sample below at the Sifton-Cook Museum. You then go online (details below), enter the names you’ve found and send it in. If you got all 18 right, you get entered in a draw for a $50 gift certificate – there will be 10 winners so your chances are good.
- Download the map here (jpeg) or simply go to these locations – if you don’t know where they are, the map will help.
- Victoria Park
- LAV / Afghanistan War Monument
- Cobourg Library
- Cobourg Dog Park
- Milestone (linear) Park, New Amherst
- Sifton Cook Heritage Centre (see photo)
- Marie Dressler House
- Town of Cobourg Greenhouse
- Sommervilles Sporting Goods
- Dutch Oven
- Northumberland Mall
- Play it Again Sports
- Habitat for Humanity ReStore
- Rino Ferreri Menswear
- CJs Tap and Grill
- Spark Toy Store
- Crock a Doodle
- Jamaican Patty House
- Do some research to find out which festivals are being described. I used Google for the Sifton-Cook example – my clue for that one: Google Sandcastle Festival Nova Scotia!
- Go to Cobourg’s Tourism web site, Experience Cobourg – this page.
- Option 1: Download the entry form – it’s also available here, fill it in (it’s a pdf fillable form), save it then e-mail it to Jackie Chapman-Davis, Community Events Coordinator at email@example.com (Hint: If you use Chrome browser, save it before filling it in then save completed copy – don’t fill-in online).
- Option 2: Fill out the form online at this page and submit.
- Entries close 23 August.
- Winners will be announced 24 August.
Since it’s an outdoor thing, masks are not required. There’s no need to get together in large groups so we can all stay healthy! Whether you participate or not, you have to give them credit for creativity!