The news scene in Cobourg has been dominated lately by the Covid-19 Virus epidemic and simultaneously Cobourg News Blog is experiencing technical problems so comments are mostly not possible. The Covid-19 page is being updated several times per day as things happen – but some people wait for the news email so this post provides a summary for them. With many of the businesses on King Street now closed (primarily Restaurants and bars), and others heeding the call to stay home, parking is easy and it’s easy to achieve the recommended social distance. Lineups (e.g. at a bank) are short. Last Thursday and Friday, supermarkets (and their parking lots) were crowded with people buying toilet rolls and hand sterilizer so they are now out of stock on these items but the crazy stampede seems to be over.
You can get the very latest at the special Covid-19 page here but let me summarize the Covid-19 situation in Cobourg as of 5:00 pm Thursday:
- There are now four confirmed cases that have been treated at Northumberland Hills Hospital. All are in their 60’s or 70’s, two woman and two men – all had recently returned from travel. (Two other cases in the area were from Kawartha Lakes).
- All Entertainment has shut down for the month of March with the situation in April variable – some waiting to decide and others also cancelling shows in April.
- Restaurants and bars have all been closed for March (and maybe longer) except for takeout. Some who previously did not do takeout are now doing so. Best phone your favourite restaurant to check.
- Public buildings like the Community Centre and Victoria Hall are closed to the public.
- Fewer visitors are allowed at the Hospital and the Golden Plough and probably others
- Volunteers are no longer working at the Hospital, Petticoat Lane, Beyond the Blue Box and probably other places.
- Day Care centres are closed
- Schools are closed until April 6 although there is talk this may be extended.
- Many clubs have cancelled meetings (e.g. Photography, Probus, Historical Society and more)
- The Police Station no longer allows public access – this means their comfort area is closed.
- The next Town and County Council meetings that were previously scheduled are cancelled.
- LCBO and Beer stores have reduced hours – the Beer store has paused accepting bottles for recycling
There is more at the special page.
Once things open up again, there will be notifications on the same special page and no doubt I will be posting about any major local updates.
On a different note, Police continue to do their work – the biggest “catch” on their part recently was 40 year old Daniel Hulme, an Oshawa man, who was wanted on a Canada wide warrant. He was stupid enough to come to Cobourg – maybe he thought he would go un-noticed in our Town. Once he was spotted, he attempted to flee but was caught. He then assaulted Police in attempting to resist arrest. A search found four different drugs on him worth $10K (see photo). He was charged with 8 new offences and faced a Bail hearing. In any event, he will be held in custody because of the warrant.
I have not given up on comments but the Google Recaptcha system suddenly stopped working properly with the result that most (but not all) comments were blocked. After I tried numerous ideas and none worked, I have asked the comment software people to help. They are doing that but it could take a while. There is a method that works that requires users to enter the letters they see. It works but is less convenient to use. I need to leave the system in its “broken” state so that troubleshooting can be done but in the unlikely event that the problem cannot be fixed or will take weeks, I will revert to that method.
Stop Press: This issue now appears to have been fixed. Let me know if anyone has a problem.