On New Year’s Day in most years, the Mayor, Council and senior staff welcome citizens to a Levee event at Victoria Hall where everyone can mingle. But this year, the event was virtual although it featured the usual players: The Concert Band of Cobourg, Town Crier Mandy Robinson, Poet Laureate Jessica Outram and Mayor John Henderson. The main event was the Mayor’s review of the highlights of 2020 – and there were quite a number. John listed them grouped by Department with accompanying photos. The resulting video on You-Tube was “premiered” at noon on New Year’s day with about two dozen people watching it live. Others can now watch it on the Town’s You-Tube site or embedded below. Although John and the video production team did a great job, I miss what he might have predicted for the year ahead. A view of the upcoming year was always a feature of the speeches of previous Mayors. Fortunately, Dominik Wisniewski at Northumberland News filled that gap with a report of an interview with the Mayor.
Dominik reported that John gave five priorities for Council in 2021:
- Rental and affordable housing – Particularly as supported by the recently approved CIP. This is a County responsibility but most councillors seem supportive of this direction. Article with description.
- Municipal service delivery review by KPMG which details cost efficiencies. John expects a report from staff on recommended specific actions at the Council meeting on January 25. (Details here)
- Accessibility Plan – described on the Town’s web site here
- Rehabilitation of Cobourg’s Waterfront – It is planned to do preliminary work in 2021.
- Review of Transit System – John described Cobourg’s current service as a “crème de la crème transit system”
See Dominik’s full report in the link below for more detail.
- Northumberland News – Looking ahead: Cobourg Mayor outlines top priorities for 2021 – 31 December 2020
- Predictions for 2021 – Opinion – 31 December 2020
- New Year’s Levee 2020 – 1 January 2020
- Other Online News Sources in Cobourg
Virtual New Year’s Levee – 2021
26:21 minutes – Video by Chris Oliver at Cobourg’s CCO productions