So far there have been no cases of the Omicron Covid19 variant reported in Northumberland and many people are responding to the Entertainment scene opening up in Cobourg in time for Christmas. After a missing a year of many Christmas events, it’s time to enjoy those that are being held. There’s a list below with details on how to get information but the first one is of course tomorrow’s Santa Parade at 6:00 pm. The weather may not be the best so I may join others and just watch it on TV (Cogeco Cable Ch. 700) but there is a long list of indoor events over the next couple of weeks. The Concert Hall at Victoria Hall re-opened November first but it’s taken a while for events to take advantage. But here’s my list:
- Santa Parade – along King Street from the Library to D’Arcy. December 4 at 6:00 pm. This year’s theme will focus on a Favourite Holiday Song and a Light Show that will showcase both a musical and lighting component adding even more festive spirit for Cobourg’s first night parade. Judging will take place in the following categories: Best Commercial Float, Best Non-Commercial Float, Best Themed Float, Mayor’s Award and People’s Choice Award. Full Details at Cobourg Calendar.
- We Need a Little Christmas – Sounds of the Season. December 3, 4 and 5. Concert Hall at Victoria Hall. By Northumberland Players. Get into the holiday spirit with a joyous revue of songs of the season! Featuring some of the Players’ most recognizable faces and with music ranging from traditional carols to Broadway and film, We Need a Little Christmas is sure to put you in a festive mood. Details at their web site. Or go to Cobourg Calendar.
- Celebrate the Season. December 5. New Ventures Band Concerts. At the Lions Community Centre. Our Festive Season concert is back with two performances this year! 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. Come and hear our bands as we entertain you and your family with a variety of festive favourites. Tickets will NOT be available at the door. Details at Cobourg Calendar.
- Elizabeth Shepherd and Michael Occhipinti (ESMO) – December 10 At the Cobourg Loft. Singer, pianist, and composer Elizabeth Shepherd and guitarist Michael Occhipinti have been featured in each other’s projects for almost a decade. Their duo – ESMO – is touring in support of a new album, The Weight of Hope. The album includes songs by Canadian legends Leonard Cohen, Bruce Cockburn, and Gordon Lightfoot, and features 1960s Toronto soul legend Jackie Shane’s Any Other Way. Details at Cobourg Loft.
- Christmas in Northumberland. Saturday December 11. At the Best Western. Dinner and Concert with the Northumberland Orchestra and Choir. When was the last time you sat in the Ballroom of a beautiful hotel, ate a magnificent dinner, listened to a Christmas concert and sang along to Christmas Carols with a full orchestra and choir? Details at Cobourg Calendar. Web page here.
- Concert Band of Cobourg Christmas Show – Sunday December 19 – 2:00 pm. At the Cobourg Community Centre.The Concert Band of Cobourg presents their annual Christmas show featuring songs of the season – both classic and modern. Tickets available at the Victoria Hall Box Office. Details also at Cobourg Calendar.
- Les Amis Concert – December 19 At the Cobourg Loft. World class Classical music. Live performance by: Cellist Rachel Mercer and Pianist Angela Park
Details at Cobourg Loft Web site.
- Lions Club New Year’s Eve Party – December 31 – At the Lions Community Centre. Details at Cobourg Calendar
All these shows will require proof of double vaccinations and that masks be worn during performances. We’re not quite back to normal.
Explore the Entertainment Scene
- Capitol Theatre
- Victoria Hall Box Office
- Christmas in Cobourg – Town of Cobourg Christmas Page
- Cobourg Calendar