In the summer of 2019, Council agreed that because of the cost of continuing to operate the Memorial Arena, that it should be closed (see link below). Council agreed and directed that an Ad Hoc Committee be set up to decide what the future of that asset should be. Nothing happened on this until the Committee of the Whole meeting on 29 March 2021 when Council directed staff to start the process to set up the Ad Hoc Advisory Committee. It had been hoped that the 2019 Cultural Master Plan would provide ideas for its use – but no such luck. (In fact the Cultural Plan has had no noticeable effect on any actions by Council or Town Staff). Then at the Regular meeting on 6 April, Council approved By-Law 021-2021 to set the terms of reference and start recruiting citizens for the Committee.
The 2019 report said that continuing operational costs would be $175K per year and required Capital costs would be $1.7M over the next 5 years and $5.3M over 25 years. Complete details were in a staff report stored on Civic Web which is no longer available.
Composition of Committee
The Ad-Hoc Advisory Committee will be comprised of a minimum of four and a maximum of six citizen appointments and at least one Member of Council as follows:
- Member of Council Coordinator of Parks and Recreation Services (Chair)
- Six Members of the Public appointed by Council
- Deputy Director of Community Services (Staff Support)
- Manager of Facilities (Staff Support)
The Committee will provide Council with a shortlist of three to six options for the Memorial Arena that:
- meet the needs of the community,
- are financially and technically viable, and
- align with the Town of Cobourg’s Strategic Plan.
To fulfill this mandate, the Ad-Hoc Committee will:
- Identify and consider the needs of the community;
- Consider the Memorial Arena Property Condition Assessment conducted by Pinchin Ltd in 2018;
- Review and tour the Memorial Arena building and site;
- Consider the site in relation to the present and potential use of the adjacent Jack Heenan Arena, other area development plans, and the Town’s Zoning By-law and Official Plan;
- Consider successful examples of arena repurposing from other municipalities;
- Consider the Town of Cobourg’s commitment to sustainability;
- Encourage and receive public submissions of ideas and suggestions for the site;
- Consider a range of opportunities which may include, but are not limited to:
- Alternative recreational or cultural uses;
- Community partnership opportunities;
- The disposal or development of the site.
- Consider the financial feasibility of each option with input from the Town’s Finance Department;
- Document the potential advantages and disadvantages of each shortlisted option;
- Consider other matters as referred to the Committee by Council.
To apply to be on the committee, download the application form from the Town’s web site here. As of 7 April, this committee was not listed on that page but no doubt the same application form and process will be used for this Ad Hoc Committee.
The full Terms of Reference include criteria to be used in evaluating applications to be on the committee – see link below. Members of the Memorial Arena Ad Hoc Committee will be appointed for the duration required to make a recommendation to Council. Meetings will usually be open to the public.
Earlier related Posts on Cobourg News Blog
- Staff propose closing Memorial Arena – 30 July 2019
- Many old Municipal Documents no longer available online – 30 January 2021
- Final Cultural Plan Presented to Council – 7 October 2019