In January 2019, Cobourg Council decided to allow Cannabis stores in the Town and now the first one has opened at 38 King Street West. The three owners already have a store in Kingston and they plan one in Campbellford. There are three others waiting to be approved – two downtown and one on Strathy Road. If there are any others, they have not officially applied for a licence. See the list below. Two of the other store applicants also have multiple stores and web sites. Given the approx. eight existing stores in Roseneath, it’s not clear if there will be enough business for all stores to operate or even if the other applicants will actually open. But Mary J’s has now had their grand opening.
They have actually been open one week but the official grand opening saw welcomes from MP Philip Lawrence, MPP David Piccini and Mayor John Henderson. (MPP Piccini was a little late arriving so MP Lawrence spoke on his behalf!) Councillor Adam Bureau also welcomed them on behalf of the DBIA. A number of other Councillors were also present.
The official licensing agency of the Ontario Government is the Alcohol and Gaming commission of Ontario (AGCO). As the name suggests, they are responsible for regulating and licensing liquor licences and gambling – and now Cannabis. They started taking applications for a licence to open a shop in Cobourg some time ago. For each application there was a 15 day window when citizens or the Town could object but for most local applications, that window has passed. AGCO have a map on their web site showing all applicants and their locations. See links below.
Written submissions about an application can only be made to the Registrar during the 15-day public notice period by a resident of the municipality in which the proposed store is located, or the municipality representing the area in which the proposed store is located.
Note that the Town cannot prohibit stores – they have to go through AGCO.
- Mary J’s 38 King St. W – co-owners Dashy Singh, Jass Dhaliwal and Harman Litt also have a store in Kingston and are planning others
Applications being processed
- Distilled Cannabis Co 8 Strathy Rd. Unit 3
- Your Local Cannabis 2 King St. E (Northeast corner of Division Street) – Has other stores
- The Peace Pipe 1 King St. E. Unit 1A – Has other stores
All Public notice dates for above have passed.
There are two more in Port Hope
- Kryptonite Cannabis 107 Peter St Unit F – public notice dates not yet posted
- Stash & Co 141 Toronto Rd Suite 121 – public notice dates have passed – has other stores.
Plus as many as 8 locations in Roseneath on County Rd 45.
Previous relevant blog posts.
- Cobourg to Opt-in to Cannabis Retail Stores – 7 January 2019
- Update on Cannabis Opt-in Decision – 14 January 2019