In the early morning of Saturday, September 11, 2021 Cobourg Police started an investigation into a Town of Cobourg Employee because of a complaint by a resident. Initially, the name of the man charged “was not released to protect the integrity of the investigation and ensure the victim’s privacy”. But today, Police announced that 27-year-old, Michael Dale Orleck of Hamilton Township has been arrested and charged with sexual assault, mischief to property under $5000 and criminal harassment. This is because the investigation suggested there may be other victims so “the name and photo of the suspect are being released”. Police say that Orleck worked at the Cobourg Community Centre but is “currently prohibited from attending there until the conclusion of the court proceedings”.
- Orleck was released from custody with strict conditions and a court date in October of 2021.
- Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Sergeant John Linney at 905-372-6821 extension 2229 or leave an anonymous tip with Crime Stoppers by phone by calling 1-800-222-8477 or online by visiting stopcrimehere.ca.
- A sexual assault includes any non-consensual contact of a sexual nature.
- Police would like to encourage anyone who feels they may have been a victim of a sexual assault to come forward and report the incident to police.
- There is no statute of limitations for sexual offences, and offenders can be prosecuted well after the date of the offence.