If the question is “what is there by way of entertainment in Cobourg”, the answer is “not much”. It’s not zero although some of it – but not all – is virtual. Way back when things were normal, the Victoria Hall Box Office had a whole collection of shows to book with venues such as the Concert Hall, the Loft, the United Church, the Firehall theatre and more. Victoria Hall and the Box office are now closed – possibly for all of 2021. However, the Loft is now operating albeit with fewer live shows. A web site dedicated to Cobourg entertainment (Cobourg Calendar) was full of events – but most of these are now labelled “cancelled”. There were also dinner theatre shows at the Best Western, Concerts in Victoria Park, Movies in the Park and of course the Waterfront Festival and Canada Day celebrations, which have all been cancelled again this year. Other notable events that have been cancelled are the Rib Fest and Port Hope’s Float your Fanny down the Ganny.
But there’s light at the end of the tunnel. With vaccinations now happening, the Highland games have rescheduled to September (from June), the Vintage Film Festival is planning for a September date and hopefully others (like the Poutine festival in September) are coming out of hibernation. Northumberland Players are planning to ramp up later in 2021 then a normal season in 2022. The Port Hope Drive in was open during lockdown and will hopefully re-open shortly.
What venues are currently available?
- Rainbow Cinemas are showing a limited program with first run movies aimed primarily at kids.
- The Cobourg Loft has a full schedule – mostly movies but with two live Les AMIS classical concerts.
- Restaurants are open for tables of 6 or less where you can entertain your friends with scintillating conversation!
- Many clubs are holding Zoom meetings pending getting back together (Clubs in Cobourg). Some are quite active e.g. Northumberland Photography Club.
- A limited number of people can be spectators at sports events (Register as a spectator at the Cobourg Community Centre)
- Take out “gala” meals from Arthurs and Cobourg Lions (facebook link). Several organizations have offered special meals that have a portion of their cost allocated to a cause.
But the star virtual event would have to be the Town’s Civic awards on April 23 at 7:00 pm. Check with the Town for details on viewing (this site and the Cobourg Calendar site will also let you know).
With the situation still uncertain, it’s best to check web sites before making firm plans. You can get most links via the Cobourg Entertainment web site here.
But I see a pattern in the above: I see that there is hope for “normalcy” to return in September.
Cobourg Internet Information pages
- Covid-19 Status in Cobourg
- Vaccination News for Cobourg
- Covid-19 Trend in Cobourg
- Active Venues in Covid-19 era