At a small Press Conference outside Victoria Hall today, John Henderson announced that he will run for re-election as Cobourg’s Mayor. Adam Bureau was there and he said that he too has submitted his papers for re-election as Councillor although he has not yet started his campaign. John handed out campaign material (see below) and has assembled a campaign team including Don Morrison and Roger Tessier. John has lived in Cobourg for 36 years and has been on Council for the last 12 and in successive terms moved from Councillor, to Deputy Mayor to Mayor. His campaign handout includes a list of “Areas of Focus” and his Professional Qualifications with a short section on his Personal Life. He has provided phone and email contacts (see below) and plans a web site at the end of May.
Campaign material highlights
Areas of Focus
- People: Affordable & Alternative Housing
- Places: Climate Change & Sustainability
- Partnerships: 5G Broadband & IT Integration
- Programs: Youth Engagement
- Prosperity: Developing a Business Continuity Plan
Cobourg is where my wife, Donna, and I have raised our three children and we could not envision living anywhere else. Now as empty-nesters, we keep busy with our Golden Retriever, Westley, and cat, Roxey, as well as our “fur grandchildren,” Peter and Izzy.
Cobourg Town Council
Current Boards & Committees
- Northumberland County Council
- Town of Cobourg Holdings Inc.
- Northam Industrial Park / Economic Development
- Cobourg Civic Awards Advisory Committee
- Cobourg Police Services Board
- Northumberland Central Chamber of Commerce
- HKPR Board of Health
- Town Policy Review Committee
- Canadian Association of Nuclear Host Communities
- Ex-Officio of all Committees
Memberships & Affiliations
- Rotary Club of Cobourg
- Royal Canadian Legion Branch 133
- West Northumberland Curling Club
- Art Gallery of Northumberland
- Cobourg Museum Foundation
- Elementary School Administrator with the Durham District School Board. Principal, Vice Principal and Teacher for 33 years (Retired).
- BA BEd. University of Western
- Master’s of Education, Queen’s University
- Cell: 289 251 0215
- Home: 905 372 9340
- Email: [email protected]
- Web site: Henderson4Mayor.ca (Will launch at end of May)
John treats the job of Mayor as full time; he has an office and (shared) secretary in Victoria Hall and is often seen at Town events. I’ll leave it to blog readers to comment on his performance.
It’s not known who else will run but it’s likely that candidates will wait to announce until after the Provincial Election. The page listed below will be kept updated on Candidate information.
- Cobourg Internet page on Municipal Election – Includes Candidate Information and results of previous elections
- Cobourg Internet Page on current Council – includes council remuneration and contact information