These two candidates have very little in common – one difference is that Johnny is not planning a web site although Brian Darling only recently put his online. Johnny had previously run in 2014 and 2018 but was not elected and Brian has been a councillor since 2014. Johnny is a Real Estate Broker and Brian is a retired Fire Department Captain. Johnny is relying on Facebook and his “Meet and Greet” sessions while Brian’s campaign is more traditional. There’s not a lot of information available on what Johnny would do as a councillor while Brian is letting us know what his “Areas of Focus” are – see summary below. Like other candidates, Brian stresses being fiscally responsible and engaging with the public.
Johnny Percolides Campaign (from Facebook)
- Slogan: Putting the Good in Cobourg’s Feel Good Town
- Meet and Greet Session at The Little Vino Bar Boutique 148 King West on Sept 15
- Four years ago some great ideas were talked about during the election campaign. Some great ideas to help the downtown area, some great ideas to help with the downtown parking issues, some great ideas to help the homeless, some great ideas to help with affordable housing and some great ideas in general to promote Cobourg to the business community …. four years later some great ideas are being talked about….again! Enough talking, isn’t it about time for some action?
- “I alone cannot change the world – but together we can” – get out and vote
- Who is Johnny Percolides? He’s a local real estate broker, he’s a husband, he’s a father, he’s a friend to many. Born and raised in Montreal, he speaks three languages English, French and Greek. He has lived in Toronto for many years before falling in love with Cobourg and moving here in 2008. He’s running for Cobourg Council again … he ran in 2018 and in 2014. His motto is if at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. He’s been interested in the politics of Cobourg for many years now.
- I care about helping to revive our downtown area to a place that everyone is proud of. I care about helping manage the tax payer’s funds in a responsible and fair way. I care about keeping our Town clean and safe for everyone. I care about promoting our Town to the outside business community so they can come and invest here and create opportunities here. I care about working as a team at Cobourg Council for the residents of Cobourg. I will not promise you that I will do things that are completely out of the Municipal level of governments control. I will do everything that I can to make sure the higher levels of government respect us and assist us in making Cobourg the Town we all want it to be.
Brian Darling’s Campaign
- Brian has two loves, his family and the Town of Cobourg
- Born and raised in Cobourg
- Worked in Construction before joining Fire Department – retired in 2012
- Has had significant volunteer activity and experience
Areas of Focus (Summary)
If elected to Town of Cobourg Council, Brian will commit to:
- STRIVING for efficient and effective governance and use of taxpayer resources in a fiscally responsible manner. Commits to working with his fellow Councillors to keep a tight rein on escalating costs.
- EMPLOYING strategic investments in infrastructure and aligning with the Town’s Asset Management Plans. A well thought-out Asset Management Plan along with a sound Financial Plan will provide a solid foundation to support major infrastructure repairs and upgrades well into the future.
- ENGAGING WITH THE PUBLIC, in particular on significant projects and land-use development initiatives. Promoting more open houses to keep the public informed on proposed projects and developments. Working with developers and the public to speed up the process for building more affordable housing.
- PROMOTING improvements to the integrated multi-path bike and walking system. Brian will continue to work with The Bicycle Action Committee and the Transportation Advisory Committee to develop new paths. (Details on achievements to date on web page)
- SUPPORTING the Integrated Community Sustainability Plan. Brian will continue to work with Sustainable Cobourg in their efforts to educate Cobourg citizens about the climate emergency we are facing. This initiative will involve Brian working with staff to find the most effective and efficient means of introducing Electric Vehicles into the Town’s vehicle fleet.
Since Brian has been a councillor for 8 years, people who have been following Council will no doubt decide if Brian should be re-elected based on their opinion as to his performance.
A list of Meet the Candidates opportunities (currently 2) is on my Cobourg Internet Municipal Election page – link below. The next one is September 29.
- Cobourg Internet Municipal Election page – How to vote, election history and candidate info. Updated regularly
- Johnny Percolides Facebook page
- Brian Darling Web site