At Cobourg Council’s Committee of the Whole (CoW) meeting on January 24, the Planning Department will provide a Site Plan for a new plaza at 1025 Elgin Street immediately north of Staples – that’s adjacent to the A & W already there – see the simplified diagram below. According to documents on the Town’s web site, three tenants have already signed leases: Mary Brown’s Chicken, Fat Bastard Burritos and Fire and Flower (another Cannabis Store – but not yet approved). You have to wonder if Cobourg needs more restaurants and cannabis stores although no doubt the potential owners are looking past the current Covid restrictions. No public meeting will be held or is required. The location is adjacent to the Mall but is not owned or managed by the Mall owners; it’s managed by Westdell and owned by TriBate Assett Management as part of the Staples property.
Simplified Site Plan
According to my count, the following restaurants are close to the new ones (within 1 Km) – some within easy walking distance
- A & W – next door – 1111 Elgin
- 241 Pizza – 1 Strathy Road
- CJ’s – just across Elgin – 1 Strathy Road
- Stacked Pancake and Breakfast House – 1 Strathy Road
- Domino’s Pizza – 2 Strathy Road
- Boston Pizza – 1111 Elgin
- Firehouse Subs – 1111 Elgin
- HomePlate – adjacent plaza – 955 Elgin
- Pizza Hut – adjacent plaza – 955 Elgin
- Symposium – adjacent plaza – 965 Elgin
- Mucho Burrito – 66 Strathy Road
- Swiss Chalet – 70 Strathy Road
- Popeye’s Louisiana Kitchen – 75 Strathy Road
- East Side Mario’s – 75 Strathy Road
- Arthur’s Pub – corner of Burnham Street
- MacDonalds – 805 William
- Wendy’s – 801 William
- Tim Horton’s – 749 William
- Big Boys Burgers – 743 William
And there are probably more! With current Covid restrictions, restaurants are only open for take-out – the above list is not intended as a restaurant guide but simply as a list of restaurants close to the new ones.
If it makes any difference, Mary Brown’s Chicken is a large Canadian chain with 200 stores across Canada; Fat Bastard Burritos is an Ontario based chain with 57 stores.
TripAdvisor counts 65 restaurants in all of Cobourg although they are missing many.
Council will be asked to approve a By-Law to execute a Development Agreement for this proposed building.
Previous Posts on Cobourg News Blog
- Update on Cannabis Stores – 21 December 2021
- Starbucks now Hiring – 2 August 2021 – Starbucks is at 1111 Elgin but I see it as coffee shop and not as a restaurant.
- Cobourg Planning Department Busy – 14 July 2021 – first mention of this development
Documents on Town’s Web site
- Town’s Site Plan Applications – Click Site Plan Applications