A report on Cobourg News Blog on May 12 described the major changes coming to Cobourg with parking. Waterfront parking, downtown parking and winter parking were all changed. But since there were so many changes, there was a degree of uncertainty, especially about overnight parking. When the by-Law was finally approved at the Regular Council Meeting on May 16, some text changes were made to clarify the revisions. The changes were mostly to do with Winter parking – a map was added to show which streets had a ban on overnight parking and a new appendix (PP) listed which streets banned any winter parking. Winter is defined as “November 1 to March 31” and overnight is “between 2:00 am and 7:00 am”.
It’s probably also worth emphasizing a couple of things:
- No vehicle may park longer than 48 hours
- Enforcement is mostly re-active. That is, it’s complaint driven – although there is some proactive enforcement for the winter no parking rules.
I have attempted to provide a clear description of all the requirements related to Parking in Cobourg as mandated by the revised By-Law. It’s provided on this page.
Winter Parking is now also better defined – and more restrictive on some streets. Go here for details.
Another issue was raised at the Council meeting: because of supply problems, the Pay and Display machines required on the waterfront will not be delivered in time for the 2022 summer as originally planned. So staff will be moving the Pay and Display machines currently installed downtown and installing them on the waterfront. As a result, parking on King Street will be free until October 10, 2022 although the time limit is now 3 hours. (See Schedule R of the final by-law – link in resources below). When the payment requirement resumes, the fee will be $1.25 per hour.
The subject of Parking in Cobourg is contentious and complicated. You can find more on the subject from the links below.
- Major Changes in Parking By-Law – 12 May 2022 – Post by Cobourg News Blog
- Summary of Parking in Cobourg on Cobourg Internet site – Parking in Cobourg
- Winter Parking By-Law – page on Cobourg Internet site
- Parking By-Law 030-2022 – final version – pdf – latest changes are shown in red. This copy was on the Council’s agenda and was approved. It is not yet on the Town’s web site.
- Town of Cobourg Parking page