Yesterday (March 1), the Province relaxed most restrictions and the Town has been quick to follow. An announcement on Tuesday seemed to say that Cobourg is now finished with Covid restrictions but look closer. Masks are still required indoors unless you can maintain two metres separation, people should still check for symptoms and some businesses may elect to still ask for proof of vaccination. But there’s no capacity limits, businesses like restaurants need not ask for proof of vaccination so it’s almost back to normal. As a result, the Town has announced re-opening Victoria Hall, the Community Centre, the Library, the Art Gallery and Venture 13 – details below. Covid-19 has not gone away but Health authorities – in Ontario anyway – are now treating it as if it were regular Flu. Not good but generally under control.
Town of Cobourg Re-openings (summary – by Department)
The Victoria Hall lobby is now open to the public Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Enter through the main doors then proceed to the appropriate department:
Debit and cheque payments are preferred for the following transactions:
- Garbage Tags
- Parking Ticket Payments (can also be paid online)
- Parking Permits (can also be paid online)
- Tax Payments (online banking payments, drop box and mail still preferred)
- Transit Passes
In-person appointments for questions regarding tax accounts or accounts receivable inquiries may be made in advance by calling 905-372-8944 or by emailing: Tax Accounts: firstname.lastname@example.org | Accounts Receivable: email@example.com
Parcels and Deliveries
All deliveries to Victoria Hall can now be received through the front doors.
Building and Planning
Virtual consultations and meetings will continue, and the some in-person services will be made available through the Building and Planning Department – see Resources below for full announcement.
Office of the Clerk/Bylaw
- In-person commissioning services and marriage licences will continue to be provided.
- Hybrid Council, Committee and Public Meetings will continue until further notice.
- In-person inquiries of the Municipal Clerk Office to be provided.
- In-person Dog Tag Licensing to be provided.
- Bylaw enforcement operating as usual.
Operating business as usual. All business and communication are encouraged to continue through email, video conferencing or by phone. See Resources below for full announcement.
Parks, Recreation, & Facilities
The Cobourg Community Centre is open to the public. It appears all programs are operating. See web site – the Calendar has not yet been updated so you’ll need to call to confirm. No word whether they will be asking for proof of vaccination – after all, it is optional.
The Cobourg Public Library is open to the public and has the following operational hours:
- Monday to Wednesday from 10 am – 8 pm
- Thursday to Saturday from 10 am -5 pm
- Sunday from 1-5 pm
Art Gallery of Northumberland
The art gallery, located within Victoria Hall, is open to the public. Visit www.artgalleryofnorthumberland.ca for details.
Remember, although most restrictions have been lifted, wearing a mask indoors is still required!
- Halliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit have a page with complete details – go here
- Full announcement by Town