With fewer Council meetings in the summer and many people taking time off, news is often slow this time of year. There’s an election coming up but so far there have not been many who have filed as candidates (details below). Covid is still a threat but there are no lockdowns (details below) – it’s now treated much like regular flu. The County has some surveys but Cobourg only has its long running survey on Brookside. The good news is that the Entertainment choices are improving although you might have noticed that we did not have the usual Sandcastle competition this weekend. Also, Rainbow Cinemas are operating on a reduced schedule – now only five days per week and two shows per day.
As of 31 July, there are only 5 candidates
- Mayor – John Henderson
- Deputy Mayor – Susanne Séguin
- Councillors: Adam Bureau, Aaron Burchat, Johnny Percolides
Nominations may be filed up to August 18.
In Cobourg, there are 7 active cases, 3 deaths so far this year and 17 hospitalizations so far this year. Currently there are outbreaks at the Cobourg Retirement Residence, Cornerstone and Rosewood. Note that the count of “Active Cases” does not include non-lab tests – e.g. tests you do yourself – so the total number of cases is quite a bit higher than 7. However, sewage sampling suggests only a mild uptick.
- Brookside – this has been available since February. There is no close date.
- Commuter Connect – about the new local Go Bus service – Closes 17 August
- Commuter Train Services – do you want Train 651 to be re-instated? – Closes 5 August
The County is seeking feedback (via an open house and not via a survey) on:
- New Backflow Prevention By-Law to protect drinking water
- Official Plan – an ongoing process
Page with more details on surveys – updated as Surveys change
- Rob Franklin and Rob Washburn honour James Cockburn at the Sifton Cook Centre on August 1
- A list of “Featured Events“; a central place to see most individual Entertainment events happening in Cobourg.
- Rainbow web site
- There has been no slow down on Police Activity – their News page is here.
A list of other local online news media web sites is available here.