A few days ago, the Ontario Government published the annual “Sunshine List” – that’s where they name every person employed by a Government agency who made $100,000 salary or more in 2021. It’s justified as being information that should be available to taxpayers who ultimately fund these salaries. They are after all, “Public Servants”. There are 244,390 names on the list and it’s easy for interesting facts to get lost. I have extracted the people who are working for municipalities in Northumberland County and this reduces the list to a manageable 167. Below are some things we can learn from that list – but note that I focus on job title and not names. The full list is public so the names are not really kept confidential; I’m just not blasting (most) names out.
- The list is getting longer every year because inflation means $100,000 is not as big a number as it used to be and a case can be made that the threshold should be nearer $150,000.
- You can be sure that many of those listed will be comparing notes with similar employees – I see that as an unfortunate side effect.
- Employees of non Municipal Ontario Government Organizations such as School boards (e.g. Teachers and Principals), the Health unit, Ontario Hydro etc are not on my reduced list but their jobs are mostly not comparable to Municipal jobs (there are some exceptions).
- OPP employees are not divided out by Geography so Police salaries for (e.g.) Trent Hills, cannot be compared to Cobourg.
- Lakefront Utilities is not included as an Ontario Government employer so their employees are not on this list.
Comparisons between Municipalities
|CAO Salary||Treasurer $||Director Median $||Population|
* Cramahe’s CAO is also the Treasurer
+ Alnwick/Haldimand’s treasurer also has other responsibilities
- The highest paid Cobourg Employee is the Police Chief at $192,820
- The next highest is Glenn McGlashon at $177,483 but he “retired” during the year so no doubt got some kind of payout.
- Third is CAO Tracey Vaughan at $174,889
- The next 6 are Police and Fire personnel.
- There are 30 Cobourg Police employees on the list.
- There are 13 Cobourg Fire employees on the list.
- A total of 57 Cobourg employees are on the list
I have provided links below to both the full Ontario List and my edited “Northumberland” list.
- Ontario Government Sunshine list – Ontario Government Web page.
- Sunshine List for Northumberland – pdf – sorted by employer then salary amount. Email me if you want a sortable Excel version.
- How many employees – total – work for the Ontario Government? Depending how its defined, that’s anywhere from 88,000 to 1.3M. More on this subject at this web site. If it’s 1.3M, 19% get paid more than $100k.