Since 2017 there have been heated discussions in Cobourg about the West Headland – probably now to be called Waterfront Nature Park. It got mixed up with unpopular plans to expand the Marina into the West Harbour and it’s a natural separation for the natural West Beach. It started with a concern that its official name – Langevin Pier – was no longer acceptable (dare I say not “woke”?). See the Resources below for more but the short version is that Langevin was an advocate for the residential school system. But what to name it instead? Alderville Chief Mowat was not concerned so eventually the Parks and Recreation Advisory Committee (PRAC) were asked to decide. Along the way, there was a push to officially declare the area (including the West Beach) a Nature Park.
But how do you do that? Well, if you call it that and put up signs then I suppose it’s done. The agenda for the PRAC meeting on 3 May included a report outlining a whole range of recommendations for the headland including that it should be officially renamed Waterfront Nature Park with signs saying that and their motion to that effect is on the agenda at the Committee of the Whole Council Meeting on May 9. (The sign in the photo at right says “West Pier” as the location.)
As well as renaming, assuming the report on the agenda is accepted, PRAC recommended some specific actions for the “Park” (highlights):
- Dogs must be on a leash
- Stay on the designated paths
- No washrooms, change rooms, bird blinds, Eco Centre
- No dredger deposits
- Remove invasive species
- Construct meandering walkway with occasional benches
- Build a pavilion at the South end
Some of these would not happen until 2025 and anyway are not yet approved.
These have all previously been recommended in one or more of several plans accepted and approved by Council including the Parks Master Plan (2013) and the Waterfront User Needs Assessment (May 2018).
These are available for download from the links below.
At the CoW on 30 May 2022, Council approved the new name and also the recommendations from PRAC.
Note that the list below is representative but not fully inclusive. Many include additional links worth pursuing.
- More about the name of the West Headland – 14 August 2021 – Summary of issue with Langevin name
- Staff Reports on Natural Waterfront Park – 1 March 2020
- Natural Waterfront Park Proposed – 5 October 19
- Should Langevin Pier be renamed Susanna Moodie Pier? – 30 September 2017
- Should Cobourg’s Langevin pier be renamed? – 25 September 2017
- Download Parks Master Plan – Hosted on Cobourg Internet (pdf)
- Waterfront User Needs – May 2018 – Hosted on Cobourg News Blog (pdf)