With help from Durham, Port Hope and Peterborough Police, Cobourg Police have arrested one “suspect” in connection with the shooting on August 16 at the West Beach encampment and have identified two other suspects. The male arrested is 19-year-old Kersi Buakasa and he is charged with six offences including attempted murder and possession of drugs for the purpose of trafficking. Two other suspects have been identified: 21 year old Elijah Kerridge-Lall, and 18 year-old Alearen Stewart, (details below). Both are known to Police, known to frequent the GTA and the Northumberland County area and they live in Durham region. Both should be considered armed. At 10:00 am today (Friday 25 August) police issued a Press release with details of this action. See Resources below to download a copy.
Here are photos of the two suspects at large. Both have been slightly photoshopped to improve them.
Meanwhile, the encampment at the West Beach has been “vacated” and the entire West Headland (Waterfront Nature Park) has now been closed by the Town for “Maintenance” – that is, to clean it up. See the two announcements by the Town.
Also on Friday, Northumberland County released a Press Release with multiple points:
- There are 10 to 15 individuals camped on County property at 600 William street and these have been advised “that camping and loitering are not permitted at this location”.
- County CAO Jennifer Moore has not accepted any authority delegated within the recently passed Town of Cobourg Bylaw (details here), and the County has taken no action with respect to the by-law.
- It is vital that services at 600 William street continue uninterrupted for our community, and that our team members feel safe in performing their duties. These services include: Northumberland Paramedics’ Cobourg base, Land Use Planning and Inspections permitting, Corporate Communications, and the Business and Entrepreneurship Centre for small business supports.
- County CAO Jennifer Moore states: “We have taken steps with our security partners and facilities staff to ensure business continuity, staff, and visitor safety. As work continues to support those tenting to transition to community services, I want to assure the public that essential municipal services will also continue.”
See full Press Release in Resources
- Update to Investigation – 1 Male Arrested in Relation to Shooting at the West Beach, 2 others outstanding – Police Press Release with full details – August 25.
- Update from Town of Cobourg Regarding Encampment by Cobourg West Pier – August 24
- Waterfront Nature Park Closed for Maintenance – August 24
- County Press Release – August 25
Update: Second Suspect Arrested – Shooting at West Beach – 29 August 2023
Cobourg Police today announced that a second suspect was arrested as a result of an ongoing investigation. One suspect is still at large.
On Tuesday, August 29th, 2023, at approximately 9:00am, 18-year-old Alearen STEWART, of Ajax, was arrested and charged with the following offences:
1) Point firearm contrary to section 87 of the Criminal Code
2) Discharge firearm with intent, contrary to section 244(1) of the Criminal Code (JOINT)
3) Attempted murder using firearm, contrary to section 239(1)(a) of the Criminal Code (JOINT)
4) Knowledge of unauthorized possession of firearm, contrary to section 92(1) of the Criminal Code (JOINT)
5) Possession of loaded firearm, contrary to section 95(1) of the Criminal code (JOINT)
6) Possession of prohibited firearm, contrary to section 91(2) of the Criminal Code (JOINT)
7) Occupant of motor vehicle knowing there was a firearm, contrary to section 94(1) of the Criminal Code (JOINT)
STEWART was held for a bail hearing later today.
Investigation into the location of a third suspect continues. A 21-year-old man, Elijah KERRIDGE-LALL is still outstanding, described as 5’8” tall and 130lbs. (See above photo) KERRIDGE-LALL is on a current court release for attempted murder charges involving a firearm and was supposed to be on a house arrest condition but was not at his residence when police executed the search warrant.