In 2019, it was proposed to move the Concert Hall Box Office to the lobby of Victoria Hall. It would also be a reception desk and function as a Visitor Information Centre. The estimated cost was $40K. At the time, Council decided to defer the project primarily because of budget considerations. But at the Committee of the Whole meeting on 27 November, 2023, Council approved spending $15K on a “Centralized Customer Services Desk located within the front foyer of Victoria Hall in the current location of the existing Security Desk”. The idea was to have a single point of contact for all Town Departments. Requests and complaints would be input at the desk into a data base so as to give a better understanding of issues.
A memo by Brent Larmer explains in detail how the single point of contact will improve Service to Cobourg residents and contribute to the Strategic Plan’s goal of Service Excellence.
- Eliminate customer confusion with one point of contact.
- Streamline customer inquiries.
- Decrease transfers between departments.
- Minimize time / effort from transfers, rework, errors, and duplication of effort
- Efficiency Savings (Hrs.) – 750+ hrs through the streamlining of processes.
- Financial – Cost / Efficiency Savings: $30-000 – $50,000
Download Brent’s memo here or in Resources. Please download and read before critiquing the plan.
Council’s discussion was mostly about the Service Desk rather than the single point of contact idea. Design of the desk would be guided by the Heritage Planner and the Victoria Hall Volunteers as well as the Accessibility Advisory Committee but the memo included the attached image of a desk used by East Gwillimbury. The desk will be constructed by a contractor and its design has not yet been decided.
It seems that the required data base already exists and the required $15K is already in the 2023 budget.
The idea of moving the Concert Hall Box Office was not brought up nor discussed.
It was not explained where the person at the desk would come from and no time frames were provided.
- Customer Service Strategy Update and Preliminary Steps – Memo by Director Brent Larmer
Previous Posts on Cobourg News Blog
- Town’s 2020 Budget Reviewed and Approved – 10 January 2020 – see paragraph: Tourism and Box Office in Vic Hall Lobby
- Budget Highlights and more – 23 February 2019