Predictions by their nature are not facts – they are really opinions. I made no predictions this time last year for 2020 and the predictions for 2019 posted a year earlier got about 8 right out of 12. So take the predictions below with a grain of salt – except for death and taxes, the future is never certain. To predict what’s going to happen, the only facts you can rely on are what has happened up till now. So based on what I’ve seen in 2020,
I think that in 2021 we can expect:
- Cobourg will go back to Yellow zone January 23
- Most people in Cobourg will be able to get a vaccine shot by July.
- Most groups will continue to use Zoom or similar for a good part of 2021
- Most if not all restrictions will be lifted in the Fall of 2021 (I’m an optimist)
Council and Town
- The Beach will be open in summer but with restrictions
- More of the parking near the beach will be paid
- The Marina and Trailer Park will be in full operation for their whole seasons
- Victoria Hall will be closed until late Summer and the Concert Hall for the whole year
- Transit will be free until summer and a Micro-Transit trial will start early in the year
- There will be more public concern about Climate Change
- There will be more activity on affordable housing
- The Tannery project will once again stay stalled
- The owner of the Park Theatre will apply for a demolition permit in 2021.
- The Woodlawn will open as a rehabilitation centre late summer.
- No Float your Fanny down the Ganny (web site here)
- No Highland Games – although it is currently planned – Web site here
- No Waterfront Festival – Web site here
- There will be a Canada Day celebration in Victoria Park but no parade
- No events in Concert Hall this year (that’s what the draft budget says)
- There will be no major events (e.g. Concerts) in the CCC in 2021 but will be otherwise open with restrictions
- Sand Castle Festival will be virtual (already announced)
- There will be a Santa Parade in November although it will be smaller than usual
Economy & Politics
- Cobourg House prices will start to fall in Spring – current prices here.
- More Downtown retail stores will close although more service businesses will open.
- Nothing much will happen at the Mall although Starbucks will open.at the new plaza and Giant Tiger will open in the Spring.
- There will be a Federal election before Fall.
Hopefully I’m wrong on some of the negative ones – I’m sure there’s a wide range of opinions on many of them.
But irrespective of any of this, I wish everyone a Happy New Year. I would say better than 2020 – but for most, that will be a sure thing.
- Predictions for Cobourg 2019 – 30 December 2018