The Northumberland Local Food for Local Good (LFFLG) not for profit group organizes events that promote local, sustainable food. Best known for their Cultivate Festival in Port Hope in September, this summer they are partnering with the Market and Smor couple, Lucas Cleveland and Montana Desjardins who operate Cobourg’s beach canteen. Starting on the weekend of July 13, 14, 15, they will turn the “courtyard” next door to the canteen into a “licensed cantina”. Scheduled for four weekends, it will feature entertainment, local brews and wines plus food prepared by the Canteen. The event is being organized by Local Food for Local Good who will be managing drink sales while Market and Smor (aka the beach canteen) are supplying and selling the food. Drink sales will be used to cover all events’ costs and net proceeds will be shared 50/50 between the Town and LFFLG.
The Town’s share will “help support the maintenance and improvement of the waterfront” while LFFLG’s share will go to their “Community Food Fund, which will support food literacy workshops, community gardens and meal programs”. The Town will also get their usual cut from the canteen (50% of profit when it’s more than $20,000 per year).
The Courtyard layout is shown in the plan at right. Security guards will limit access to people aged 19 and older after 7:00pm. There’s no word yet on who will provide entertainment.
- Weekend 1 Craft Brewery Nights: Friday, July 13, Saturday, July 14 and Sunday, July 15
- Weekend 2 Jazz Nights: Friday, July 27, Saturday, July 28, and Sunday, July 29
- Weekend 3 Distillery Nights: Friday, August 3, Saturday, August 4, and Sunday August 5
- Weekend 4 Wine Nights: Friday, August 24, Saturday, August 25, and Sunday August 26
Time: Friday and Saturdays 3pm to 10pm; Sundays 12pm to 5pm
Target Attendance: Fridays 350 people, Saturdays 525 people, Sundays 150 people (1,025 per weekend, 4,100 total).
Note the other events nearby on these weekends:
- Sunday 15 July – Lakeside Antique & Classic Car Show in Victoria Park
- Sunday 29 July – Great Waterfront Trail Adventure – Cyclists will arrive around 3:00pm and camp overnight
- August 3, 4, 5 – Sidewalk Sale and Sandcastle Festival
- Saturday August 25 – Movie in the Park – sound from the movie might interfere with the entertainment and vice versa.
Council approved these events at their meeting tonight (Monday June 11, 2018). (Download agenda item here). If this is successful, similar events are expected to be put on next year.
For a calendar with all Cobourg Events, go here.