Today was another glorious summer day in Cobourg with lots happening at Victoria Park and the Beach. In the Park, close to 200 cars participated in the Lakeside Antique and Classic Car Show, the Lawn Bowling club were hosting the Ontario Championship national qualifying lawn bowling tournament (also Saturday), the Ontario Volleyball Association had 33 courts active on the beach (continuing from Saturday), the Courtyard Cantina operated for the weekend and there was a good crowd on the beach. However, the Water Park was not setup and the Lifeguard stations were all still the old styles. Mysteriously, the Coast Guard moored a “Police, Marine Security” ship offshore – the local Coast Guard said that it’s nothing to do with them and that Marine Security are a secretive bunch.
Lakeside Antique and Classic Car Show
Usually there are more than 200 cars participating although by mid-morning there were about 150 registered with more still arriving. Cars were grouped by vintage starting at 20 years and older. Participants came from as far away as Milton and Tottenham and you could tell that the exhibitors were really pleased to show off their vehicles. All were in good shape and well presented. A DJ in the bandshell played old-time pop music. See photos below.
Ontario Volleyball Association
Sunday featured teams from 12U Girls, 14U, 16U and Youth Open. Over the weekend, 116 teams played on 33 courts. Last year the games on Cobourg Beach were cancelled because of the high water level but there is no problem this year. See photos below.
16 teams from across Ontario are in Cobourg this weekend for the mixed pairs Ontario Championship national qualifying lawn bowling tournament. The gold and silver medalists will go on to represent Ontario at the National Championships in British Columbia in September. No specific photos but they are in the background of one of the car photos (you can tell where my interests lie!).
Despite the 33 volleyball courts, there was still plenty of room for beach-goers. I couldn’t help but notice three things:
- All four Lifeguard stations were the old style despite the hope that two new ones would be in use by the July 1st weekend.
- There was no Water Park – apparently they had (and seemingly continue to have) a problem hiring the lifeguards they need. There is no word on when they expect to succeed (see link to their Facebook page below)
- The beach mat provided to help accessibility for beach goers in wheel chairs is getting good usage albeit from non-handicapped people. It works well for strollers and just about anybody wanting to walk on the beach down to the water.
The main times when the “Courtyard Cantina” would have been jumping were Friday and Saturday nights. On Sunday afternoon (see photos below), it was relatively quiet with no live entertainment (just a DJ).
The courtyard next door to the canteen at Cobourg’s Beach is transformed into a “licensed cantina” – entry is free. Each weekend has a theme:
- July 13 -15 Craft Brewery Nights:
- July 27 – 29 Jazz Nights
- August 3 – 5 Distillery Nights
- August 24 – 26 Wine Nights
Operating Times: Friday and Saturdays 3pm to 10pm; Sundays 12pm to 5pm See link below for more info.
Coastguard Ship Offshore
Although they provided no information, the Canadian Coastguard Marine Security web site says that their role is to “protect and preserve the efficiency of Canada’s marine transportation system against unlawful interference, terrorist attacks or use as a means to attack our allies.” The ship is the Corporal Teather, 43m long, 7m wide and a draught of 2.8m. See photo below.
- Beach Courtyard Summer Series – 11 June 2018
- Water Park approved in close vote – 10 April 2018
- Lifeguard stations to be upgraded – 13 June 2018
- Water Park Facebook page.
- Canadian Coast Guard – Maritime Security
- Mat installed on Beach – 10 August 2016
Addendum – July 16, 2018
Water Park Opening Delayed to 2019
The Water Park will not open this year – instead it will open June 2019. The problem is the inability to hire enough lifeguards. To make sure there are enough for 2019, hiring will start later this year for 2019.
This announcement was made July 16 by At The Lake Distributing Incorporated in partnership with Summer Water Sports