Jeff was the Green Party Candidate for the recent Provincial election and will now represent the party in the October Federal Election. Giving an example of being efficient, the Party held two AGMs and nominated their candidate all in one meeting – held at the Cobourg Community Centre. First was the Provincial AGM with Patricia Sinnott being re-elected as President by the approx. 25 people in attendance. Jeff reported on the election results and blamed the relatively low vote on people who did not vote their heart but were intent on stopping either the Liberals or Doug Ford. The meeting also elected three other executive members. The second meeting was for the Federal Riding association who elected a new four member executive and campaign team and acclaimed Jeff Wheeldon as their candidate.
Jeff said he was encouraged by the good number of volunteers who joined during the Provincial election and would hopefully help during the Federal campaign. He also spoke about Bill-71 which Ontario Green Party leader Mike Schreiner has introduced at Queen’s Park to protect the watershed that provides Guelph’s drinking water.
Jeff gave a “nomination speech” which was in the style of a campaign speech. Apart from comments about why Conservatives, Liberals and the NDP are not concerned about the environment or climate change and have other faults, Jeff also said:
- No Parties have a vision for the future
- He couldn’t be a candidate for Liberals and especially not Conservatives or even the NDP because they put Party before Constituents whereas the Green Party puts constituents’ wishes first.
- The Green Party does politics differently
- A poll found that Elizabeth May is seen as the most ethical leader
- Jeff acknowledged the show of ethics by Jody Wilson-Raybould
- We can either give up on politics or we can step up.
Jeff seemed motivated by the momentum he saw in increasing interest and support for the Party.
There is no word yet on a nomination for the NDP – but then it’s still many months to October.
- Cobourg Internet page on Federal Election candidate info.
- Green Party – Riding web site – Northumberland Peterborough-South – Ontario and Federal
- Green Party of Ontario Facebook