Movie theatres and Art Galleries are allowed to open provided they meet social distancing and other rules. On August 4, Ken Prue’s Cobourg Loft is reopening with only a third of capacity and will respect all the rules. He will be screening a full program but no live shows. I understand live shows are harder since they need to generally fill most if not all seats to make them financially viable and that’s true for all theatres such as the Capitol. The Art Gallery of Northumberland (AGN) is in Victoria Hall but it seems that they are opening up enough to let people visit the Art Gallery on the third floor. To visit, you’ll need to make an appointment by choosing a day and time. They are currently exhibiting 60 Years: An Anniversary which opened just before they shut down in March but will now continue to September 4.
So now there are four venues in Cobourg that provide entertainment (see links below).
Films play at 2 PM and 7 PM, Monday to Saturday – see Loft web site for Program
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Friday, Saturday & Sunday: Closed
- Spectators at film events are limited to 20 people, Physical distancing measures will be in place
- All patrons must wear a mask or face covering
- Patrons are encouraged to pre-register at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Patrons are requested to prepay by $10.00 e-transfer to email@example.com (see web site for more detail)
- If unable to prepay please have exact change $10.00
- Visits are by appointment only. To make an appointment, go to their web site here or phone (905) 372-0333
- Please do not visit the AGN if you’re feeling unwell.
- Visitors are to wear masks. Disposable masks will be available at the Front Desk for $2.00 each for those who don’t come equipped with their own.
- Use the hand sanitizing stations located throughout the galleries.
- Remain at least two (2) metres apart from other visitors at all times.
- Please follow the health and safety guidelines posted throughout the gallery.
- Elevators will be operating with limited occupancy
- All visitors will be asked to use Victoria Hall main floor washrooms.
There’s no word of when Rainbow Cinemas at the Mall will open although there’s talk that they don’t have new films to show so they are debating opening on weekends screening classics – no doubt using rules like Ken’s. (See their facebook page) Currently they open on Saturdays from 1 to 4 to sell popcorn.