At Tuesday’s regular Council meeting, Council debated what to do about events that are handled through the “Community Events Process” – and the list is long, see link below. Some of the events have already been cancelled but a notable exception was the Sand Castle Festival. The motion originally proposed provided for staff to decide what to do and specifically cancelled the Sand Castle Festival. But Adam Bureau modified this to make it clear that all community events up to 1 September 2020 would be cancelled and then require that all new events from September 1st to December 31st must be approved by Council instead of being only approved by Staff. In discussion it was made clear that this affected all Town and Community events that were either on Town property and/or required approval from the Town.
Final Approved Motion
ACTION RECOMMENDED: THAT Council terminates all community events approved through the Community Events process in the Town of Cobourg until the first of September 2020 due to COVID-19 Pandemic to ensure our residents safety; and
FURTHER THAT Council suspend the Delegation of Authority By-law No.040-2015 related to Community Events and request that any event currently scheduled and all new events from September 1st 2020 to December 31st in the Town of Cobourg must come to Municipal Council for approval with staff recommendations.
Notable cancelled events
- DBIA Events: Girls Night out – June 5; Food and Music Festival July 18; Sidewalk Sale July 30 to August 2; Literature Event August 22;
- Concert Band – Concerts in the Park, Tuesday nights July and August
- OVA Beach Volleyball – July 10 & 11
- Car Show in Victoria Park – July 19
- Courtyard Summer Bar Series – July, August
- Sand Castle Festival – August 1
- Rib Fest – August 14 to 16
See the full list in the link below.
Adam Bureau commented that although the Province may open up more over the next month or so, it was ultimately up to Council to decide what to do in Cobourg.
- Status of Community Events in Cobourg May 14, 2020 – list of all events managed by Community Events Process as provided by Town Staff.