The Mall is obviously ripe for a makeover but Trinity group who are managing the Mall, are not revealing their plans. Although Mall ownership changed hands in the last few weeks, Trinity Group are still managing the property. The Mall looks tired since routine maintenance is not getting done and tenants in the Mall are gradually moving out. There is growth, but not in the Mall proper – the new “strip plaza” in the parking lot facing Elgin is now at the Site Plan approval stage (more here) and new tenants are moving into the outside spaces. Based on what we know so far, we can deduce that drastic changes will be coming to the inside part of the mall but the stores facing outside (Dollarama etc) will remain. Scotia Bank claims they are not moving to the strip plaza and there is talk of Metro expanding a bit.
However, the web site of Trinity Group tells some of the story – they seem to be actively soliciting tenants although there is a long list of vacancies inside the mall proper.
Trinity Group Web site information
Strip Plaza Tenants
- The drive-thru “restaurant” is now labeled “coffee”. We can only speculate who this might be.
- The space previously labeled “Financial” is now labelled “available” 3,000 s.f.;
- Bliss Nail Salon is to go in adjacent to “coffee”;
- Booster Juice will occupy another space;
- Two other spaces are also vacant.
Mall Tenants and Vacancies
- Giant Tiger is to occupy 22,000 s.f. on the west side of Dollarama;
- Fit for Less is to occupy approx. 17,000 s.f. on the west side of Giant Tiger;
- Current externally facing businesses include Gates College, Pet Valu, Dollarama, Carquest;
- Hallmark is the latest to close – Trinity’s list already marks it available – see photo;
- Total external available space: 57,250 s.f. which includes 27,500 which also faces inside the mall (part of the old Zellers space);
- Inside the mall, on the main level, 17 locations are occupied and 17 locations vacant (adjusted since Bentley’s closed recently);
- The total space vacant inside the Mall is 38,716 s.f. (plus Bentley’s).
No indication is given on the timing of anything although the strip plaza should be operating by Fall 2020.
Update 29 August 2020
Giant Tiger confirmed they will be opening at the Mall 15 May 2021. Employment applications are now being accepted. This has been reported by Dominic Wisniewski at Northumberland News here.
- Trinity Group – Northumberland Mall – Note 3 Feb 2020: the mall site plan has been removed from the site since this post was written. That was the source of specifics listed above.
- Major Upgrades planned for mall – 28 August 2018