Cobourg’s Waterfront Plan recommended a large number of changes to the Harbour, the Marina, the Trailer Park (now called the Campground), the west headland and the west beach. A Request for Proposals (RFP) has now been issued asking for more details and cost estimates. Closing date is October 27 and after four public meetings, the schedule calls for completion by the summer of 2021. Tenders for implementation are to be issued by Fall 2021 and construction will start Spring/summer 2022 – although these last two dates are tentative. However, even awarding of this preliminary work is yet to be confirmed pending Council’s review of the 2021 budget. The scope is in two parts: the Campground and the area from the Centre Pier to the West Beach.
As you would expect, the RFP leans heavily on the “Waterfront User Needs and Detailed Design Assessment – Final Report” (see links below), but with four public meetings – an initial meeting and three progress meetings – it is also mindful of public interest. The scope of the RFP is “preparation of options, including public review of the options, detailed design of the approved works, preparation of tender documents and contract administration and inspection services for….” improvements to the Victoria Park Campground, the Marina, the West Harbour, the West Headland and the West Beach.
Highlights of Changes
Summary – see RFP document in links for more detail
- Improvements to help improve functional layout, visual appearance and overall attractiveness, upgrade buildings, replace infrastructure/services and to reduce visual and operational impact on the rest of the waterfront.
- The new “buffer” area between the Campground and Beach will not be pursued [that involved using some beach area to move path away from campground]
- Accommodate vehicles waiting to check-in on-site rather than on Division Street, which creates traffic problems
- Upgrade the facility’s water, sanitary and electricity services, including to each campsite, as well as the potential upgrade and relocation of the on-site sanitary disposal station
- Consider options for expanding the year-round use of the Campground through the potential introduction of yurts or single room cottages for short-term rentals and seasonal special events
- New administration/washroom/laundry (service) facility
- Dock and launch ramp for smaller, non-motorized craft that accommodates universal/accessible access;
- Provide direct and safe access to the water from storage compounds;
- Reconfiguring boat storage areas to improve configuration/efficiency/capacity, pedestrian circulation and parking for marina users;
- Constructing a possible groin/shoreline revetment in conjunction with the lifting well to help minimize siltation of the slips from sand;
- Enhancing the Centre Pier as a publicly accessible waterfront amenity/space and assessing the feasibility of extending power and water to the west side of the Pier;
- Incorporating a footprint for the future replacement of the existing Waterfront Administration Building and Cobourg Yacht Club building with a new community waterfront building;
- Providing a safe and permanent lifting well/haul-out slip to accommodate a travel lift … in the case where the Town chooses to construct the lifting well/haul-out slip at a later date. A cost estimate to construct the lifting well/haul-out slip is also required in the base design scope of work.
West Beach and Headland
- Preserving the Headland and West Beach as a naturalized area;
- Leveraging views towards the town and harbour
- Enhancing wildlife viewing opportunities, particularly for observing migratory birds in the harbour;
- Providing safe and accessible walkways, seating and viewing platforms
- Preliminary design drawings
- Preparation for Public meetings
- Detailed design drawings for the approved options
- Construction cost estimate
- Tender documents for the detailed design
- Recommendation for award
- Estimate for project management/contract administration and inspection services.
Quite the project!
When bids come in, we’ll know the cost since this includes construction estimates, but we won’t know if we can afford it for some time. Award of this project is scheduled for 23 November 2020 – after we have some idea of the 2021 budget.
There is a special Council meeting on Tuesday October 20 at 1:00pm. The meeting will discuss the impact of Covid-19 on the Town’s finances. It will be virtual via Zoom but public input via email will be accepted.
- Documents on Town Web site
- RFP – Revitalization of Key Areas of the Cobourg Waterfront
- Download Waterfront User Needs and Detailed Design – This is the “Waterfront Plan”
- Appendices to above
- Business Case for Cobourg Harbour Expansion