Nominations to run in the October Municipal election have been accepted since May 2, 2022 – they close August 19 so there’s plenty of time yet. So far John Henderson has filed to run as Mayor, Suzanne Séguin is wanting to be Deputy Mayor again and Adam Bureau has filed to run for a Councillor position. The last 4 years have been turbulent with the pandemic but also with major Capital Projects and a new-found interest in County responsibilities: affordable housing and homelessness. Culture and Downtown vitalization seem to be on the back-burner and Tourism will no doubt take a hit with the new Parking fees. Big expenditures are planned to fix the Harbour and maybe enhance the East Pier. The next term should be interesting to say the least.
Town Clerk, Brent Larmer, has a page (updated daily) which lists nominations filed – go here.
At the risk of losing some objectivity, I have a list of what I think will be key election issues.
- Should Cobourg Council use taxpayer money to support affordable housing since this is a County responsibility?
- Should there be an immediate move to build a multi-level Parking Garage on Covert Street? (Since developers seem to want to build on their land now used for parking).
- Should Harbour improvements be limited to repairs or should the East Pier be enhanced?
- Should the Town actively promote Tourism?
- Should projects close to Downtown (like at the corner of Division and Albert) be approved with limited Parking for residents?
- Should the CCC actively look for more major events like the recent Blue Rodeo concert?
- Do we really need “new blood” on Council?
This list is of course based on what’s been happening but there will no doubt be new challenges. My list probably leaves out some issues – feel free to add them in your comment(s).
Prospective Councillors will not get enough salary to live on so they will need to be getting a pension or have a “day job” (except for the Mayor) so the number of people willing to stand for election will be limited.
Below are file photos of the three nominated so far.