It’s not just Cobourg who is developing a Strategic Plan for the next term of Council – Northumberland County is now seeking resident input. It’s notable that the County is approaching creation of its plan differently – they are starting with a survey instead of Cobourg’s approach of asking for comments on a draft plan. The survey has only three questions and they are very general – see below. Compare this approach to Cobourg’s (as outlined in an earlier Post), and Port Hope’s which asks for an update on their 2019-2022 plan and Brighton who are holding four public meetings where residents help create their plan. But residents of Cobourg are also in Northumberland County so this is a survey we should be looking at.
The County survey is primarily online but also available in hard copy at locations throughout the County – see Resources below.
- What do you love about the community of Northumberland? What do you value most about your local community within the County?
- How do you envision Northumberland in 10 years? What are the key changes you would like to see?
- What actions can Northumberland County take to make your vision a reality? What actions can community members take?
For each question, a comment box is provided for your response.
To make sure responses are civil, they will be moderated. There’s a long document outlining moderation policy. The survey is outsourced to Granicus who provide EngagementHQ Software and manage the moderation. (EngagementHQ was previously “Bang the Table”).
But before asking the County to do something or improve something, it helps to be aware of what they are responsible for – here is a list:
Services provided by the County are:
- Social Services (e.g. Welfare)
- Affordable and Subsidized housing
- Long Term Care – Golden Plough Lodge
- Major Roads and Bridges
- Waste Collection and Management
- Paramedics (Ambulance Service)
- Economic Development (also provided by Towns)
- Tourism (also provided by Towns)
- Forest Management
- Archive Management
You might also want to read the full announcement by the County on creating a Strategic Plan. Go here. It’s got a lot of generalised comments about how and why residents can participate. Included is the statement:
Connect in-person to share your feedback at one of our ‘community conversation’ pop-up locations around Northumberland later in May (locations to be announced shortly).
The County makes it clear that this survey is only one of many sources of input.
No timeline is provided nor are we told who is pulling the plan together.
- County Survey
- Moderation Policy – on County Web site
- Strategic Plan for 2022 – 2026 (Cobourg) – Cobourg News Blog article posted on 3 May 2023
- Port Hope Strategic Plan Update
- Brighton’s Resident Consultation for Strategic Plan
Survey Hard Copies
Locations in Cobourg where hard copies will be available starting May 15.
They will be postcards that can be mailed in or put into drop boxes at the same locations
- Northumberland County Headquarters, 555 Courthouse Road, Cobourg
- Victoria Hall, Finance Department, 55 King Street W, Cobourg
- Cobourg Public Library, Cobourg Branch, 200 Ontario Street
Postcards will also be delivered by Canada Post to a random sample of households across the County between May 15th and 26th.