At the Committee of the Whole (CoW) meeting on October 16, Council will be asked to approve asking the Public for feedback on the “Strategic plan for 2023-2027 and Beyond”. After getting feedback and making (hopefully) minor changes, the plan will come to the CoW on November 6 for final approval. Guided by a consultant, work started on the plan with a two day meeting of Council and Staff on 27 and 28 June.
There are a few things different about this plan (apart from being 9 months late): It’s less ambitious (it has only three “Strategic Priorities” and the five “Pillars” are not used) and it avoids giving Operational directives (e.g. specific projects). It was noted that the Town did not have the capacity to do all items in the previous plan.
Vision and Mission
These were completely revised although they don’t contradict each other.
It was agreed that KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) are required and although they are not yet included, there is a commitment to develop them during the timeframe of the plan (Action #4 under Service Excellence). In addition, “Cobourg’s Senior Management Team will be responsible for developing the operational plan each year. The operational plan will be brought to Council for approval and will form the basis for regular reports to Council, and the public, on the progress that is being achieved.”
Another addition for each Strategic Priority is a list of “Strategic Questions”. These help staff “evaluate projects to ensure that they are consistent with the direction set out in the Strategic Plan.” For example, under Sustainability, “Is it affordable now and in the long term?”
List of Actions
- Provide the physical infrastructure to support a healthy community that will enable each of us to flourish and reach our full potential
- Institute development policies that promote the provision of a mixture of housing options that support the community
- Invest in programs and services that encourage active lifestyles for all age groups
- Maintain resiliency and competitiveness through investments in people and resources in collaboration with other public sector agencies and levels of government.
- Assess points of contact with customers to identify ways to streamline communications, increase stakeholder engagement, demonstrate user friendliness and provide optimal service
- Embrace new technologies that will improve customer service and increase efficiency and accessibility
- Ensure that human resources policies and practices make Cobourg the employer of choice to attract and retain the best talent.
- Develop and implement Key Performance Indicators and Continuous Improvement Plans for municipal programs and services to measure Customer Satisfaction, Community Impact and Efficiency
- Preserve and promote the heritage, history and culture of Cobourg to sustain it as a vibrant and appealing destination.
- Protect Cobourg’s harbour and waterfront for use and enjoyment by residents, visitors and future generations.
- Take a community approach to making the future of Cobourg equitable, resilient, and sustainable in response to our ever changing natural environment, including efforts to address climate change
- Enhance our Financial and Asset Management Plans to provide appropriate levels of services and ensure long-term sustainability
The next step will be to “initiate a community engagement program starting Tuesday, October 17, 2023” including setting a date/time for a public meeting.
See Resources below for a copy of the draft plan and the report from Staff (CAO Tracey Vaughan).
- Draft Strategic Plan 2023 – 2027 and Beyond
- Staff report (CAO) – Draft 2023 – 2027 Strategic Plan
- Previous Strategic Plan (2019 -2022) – on Town web site