Although Council approved grants to 17 community groups, it may be the last year that this is done. When Council approved the grants, an additional sentence was added: “And further that Council direct staff to review the Community Grant Policy including options to cease the program, streamline the application process for more efficient decision making or offer special rental and parking rates for non-profit organizations; And further that a report be brought back to Council by June 2023.” Mayor Cleveland and Councillor Barber were against any grants and Councillor Brian Darling was against cash grants. Brian was also reluctant to approve in-kind grants to waive fees for Victoria Hall since Victoria Hall is already subsidized. Councillors also suggested that more groups should create MOUs with the Town – like the Art Gallery. (MOU = Memorandum of Understanding). If this were done, annual applications would not be needed.
The approval process started with a list of proposed grants by Nicole Beatty. In many cases, her suggestions were approved but in a case by case review, some were changed. Here is the approved list:
|Name of Organization||Grant Type||Amount
|1||Canadians Abilities Foundation||Cash||$3,000||$1,000|
|2||Cobourg and District Historical Society||In-Kind||$2,520||$2,000|
|3||Cobourg Ecology Garden||Cash||$1,800||$1,800|
|4||Cobourg Highland Games Society||In-Kind||$16,675||$5,000|
|5||Cobourg Lawn Bowling Club||In-Kind||$6,720||$6,720|
|6||Cobourg Museum Foundation||Cash||$5,000||$4,000|
|8||Horizons of Friendship||Cash||$1,950||$1,000|
|9||La Jeunesse Choirs||In-Kind||$2,500||$1,000|
|11||Northumberland Oral Health Coalition||Cash||$400||$400|
|12||Northumberland Orchestra & Choir Society||Cash||$5,000||$1,000|
|13||Ontario Community Emergency Assistance Program||Cash||$3,500||$1,000|
|14||Saint Vincent De Paul||Cash||$5,000||$1,000|
|15||Song – Sounds of the Next Generation||In-Kind||$3,200||$1,000|
|16||St. Peters Church||Cash||$15,000||$0|
|17||Victoria Hall Volunteers||In-Kind||$5,432||$5,432|
|18||Victorian Operetta Society||In-Kind||$4,000||$1,000|
That’s a total of $35,352 – $11,200 cash and $24,152 In-Kind.
- Although Nicole initially included $5,000 for the St. Peter’s project, she later announced that since the St. Peter’s amount would be for capital, it was not eligible.
- The Lawn Bowling Club amount was for parking passes as has been traditionally provided.
- The Cobourg Museum amount was for a rebate on their tax bill. The amount is an estimate – the actual may be slightly more or less.
- The amount for Victoria Hall Volunteers was generous because they donate back to the Town.
- Some Council members have an interest in some of the groups so declared a conflict and did not vote in those cases.