The Saturday of the first weekend in August is usually Cobourg’s busiest day of the year – especially if it’s hot. Well this year, the weather was hot but the main beach was closed and there was no Sandcastle Festival. There is usually also a Sidewalk sale on the same weekend but this year there was just a closed main street with no entertainment and much smaller crowds. See the Links below to see what the Festival was like in 2019 and 2018. The water level was not unusually high like it was in 2017 and 2019 but this just made the beach more inviting albeit empty. I visited the West Beach, the West Harbour, the Marina and the Main Beach and recorded this in a video and a collection of photos.
- The Parking lots were not full although the Marina lot came close.
- The Boat launch was busy
- Access to swimming in the West Harbour was fenced off due to a high e-coli reading – It’s never a good place to swim anyway
- Many forgot that parking on the waterfront is no longer free so did not get a Pay and Display. This meant the Bylaw officers were busy.
- The Marina was busy but not full
- The Trailer Park was close to full but had some empty spots
- The Splashpad was “policed” by a YMCA summer student
- The Canteen was closed
- Washrooms were closed but there were quite a number of Porta-Potties supplied by “Just in Time”. They disinfect twice a day – I was told that there are 40 between East of Grafton and the Marina so the cleaning guys are busy all day.
- I noticed a good number of strolling couples, young and old
- Some families had picnics in the park
- Everyone seemed to be observing social distancing and some even had masks on outdoors when this is not strictly required.
- The Breaker’s Motel Private Beach was open but limited to guests.
See the video below and below that some photos.