The Concert Hall at Victoria Hall, the Firehall Theatre and the United Church as an entertainment venue, are all still closed so you could be excused for thinking that there is no organized entertainment in Cobourg – but you would be wrong. The Loft is open, Rainbow Cinema at the Mall is operating, there are several outdoor events and some organizations have innovative activities to keep you entertained. Some events are scheduled for the Fall and plan to use current Covid-19 protocols although these may be relaxed by then – let’s hope so. There is a web site that provides local Entertainment Information (Cobourg Calendar) and it has a page listing venues that are operating despite Covid-19 – and the list is growing. Here is a summary with links for more info plus some brief comments:
Updated from 17 July article
- Cobourg Loft Cinema – Full Program – occupancy at 50%
- Port Hope Drive-in – on Theatre Road
- Rainbow Cinemas – Full Program – occupancy at 50%
- Warriors Axe Throwing – commercial with a mobile unit available *
- Cobourg Library – open with some limitations
- Art Gallery of Northumberland – now open *
- Sifton-Cook Museum – open on Fridays and Weekends.
Special Events – limited schedule
- Northumberland Players – Pop-up Theatre – outdoors – 4 shows through September
- Highland Games Pop-Up Patio & Ceilidhs – first event was in July – next one is August 12 to 15.
- Cobourg Police Service’s Bike Rodeo – Police bicycle safety event August 14 *
- Northumberland Rocks – Live Rock concert in Lions Parking Lot – August 20 *
- Film Access Northumberland (FAN) – outdoor show August 29 plus event at the Loft
- Vintage Film Festival September 2021 – Dressler film event in September at the Capitol *
- Classical Concerts at the Loft – three events – September 26, October 31 and December 19 *
- ABBAMANIA – at Drive in – Live Abba Tribute band – October 3 *
* New since 17 July
Note that the Marie Dressler Museum will not be opening until late September due to ongoing work on an extensive expansion/ renovation. (Marie Dressler Museum Expansion Project on Track – 21 July 2020)
Of course you can have your own social events too. The other day, I was in a group of about a dozen who formed a circle sitting on lawn chairs in Victoria Park. Other than someone you lived with, we were 6 feet apart.
When we moved into Step 3, we were told it would be a minimum of 21 days before there was a further relaxation of rules. That date was August 6 but there’s no word yet on relaxing of restrictions. However, entertainers are finding they can put on shows respecting current limits (details of limits here) – so that’s good.