One of the early actions of Cobourg’s new Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) Tracey Vaughan, was to hire a consultant to provide an Organization Review. She has said she hopes that this will help with efforts to improve efficiency. At Monday’s Committee of the Whole Meeting, Oscar Poloni from KPMG presented Council with a description of what exactly he hoped to achieve. It would address the earlier KPMG report on a Service Delivery review and would align with Council’s direction to staff (via the Strategic Plan including its update – see links below). One question Oscar asked (but got no immediate answer) was whether the Town wanted to organize around priorities instead of the more usual and current organization based on function. Oscar said that he had already talked to some staff and starting Tuesday he would be having one-on-one interviews with each Councillor.
Oscar’s presentation material as provided online did not provide much useful information although his verbal presentation was much more detailed (see links for how to see this). Here are some highlights:
- The report will be relatively quick. It should be presented to Council late August – this year
- A comparison will be made with the organizations of other similar Towns – and will compare their organization structure and staffing levels
- As well as staff numbers, the report will recommend who reports to whom
- The recommended organization will “align with Council’s direction”
- The report will include implementation – “how to get there”
- It will focus on Service to both external customers (citizens) and internal (other staff)
- One review item is a “jurisdictional review” although Oscar seemed to skim past this when talking to the slides
- Staff currently have a good attitude – they believe they are providing an important and useful service – and this must be maintained.
Let’s hope that whatever is decided is more than cosmetic and in fact improves efficiency. And it will be interesting to see what priorities are – will they be clear and will they be different?
Previous Cobourg News Blog Reports
- Council Reviews Priorities – 4 April 2021 – a mid term review of the Strategic Plan – pointed to less emphasis on Arts, Culture and Tourism and more on Economic Development.
- Service Levels Review – Final Report – 16 November 2020
- Progress on Efficiency Actions – 19 June 2021
To see Oscar’s presentation to Council, go to escribe and click Upcoming. Scroll down to Past Meetings and choose Committee of the Whole. Then choose the 21 June meeting > Revised Agenda (HTML). Choose Presentation item 6.2 and the video box will open starting at his presentation. You can then watch his presentation. A bit convoluted but much better than Civic Web which did not provide this access.
- Cobourg’s Administration – includes Organization Chart
- Cobourg Council – Council Members and other information about the Town