This site is called a blog because it uses the “blog format”. That refers to a home page with a collection of introductory paragraphs – just like this site uses. Also it is operated by just one person and comments are allowed and encouraged. Articles are intended to be neutral and as such they can be described as news or media articles. Hence the official name. “Cobourg News Blog”. As noted below, one of its official Internet addresses is CobourgNewsblog.ca
Topics covered and policy/philosophy
The focus is Cobourg – not Port Hope or Northumberland. Not all news is covered – but if you feel something should be covered but is not, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org If it fits per the criteria below, and it’s of local interest, I will likely post on it. For a list of other online sources of news in Cobourg, go here. Note that the purpose is to provide news coverage of Cobourg and not to operate a business. Therefore, occasionally, other local news sources will be referenced. There is also a list of these other news sources here.
News coverage is intended to be unbiased and neutral – I go to some trouble trying to achieve this. If I don’t always succeed in your opinion, don’t slander me with accusations of an intent to be biased.
News items covered:
- Cobourg Council Meetings – occasionally County Council – also Municipal activities
- Provincial and Federal Politics that directly affect Cobourg
- Major crime like hold-ups but not minor crime like domestic disputes
- Elections in Cobourg and related politics
- Business issues – including some Real Estate updates
- Significant Police activities
- Citizen activism
- Announcements and major or unusual events in Town.
- Anything significant enough about Cobourg to get in Toronto or National papers.
Items NOT covered
- Most sports events – unusual or major events may be mentioned.
- Fundraising (although Fundraising events will often be listed on the Entertainment calendar)
- Community meetings – instead see this list of Community organizations.
- Community notices such as weddings, deaths, engagements, births
- A repeat of news previously announced
- Church announcements.
Other information about Cobourg
- There is a whole lot of information about Cobourg at the parent site: Cobourg Internet
- Included there is a comprehensive Entertainment Calendar, Transit info and Council/Town info.
Newspaper and magazine writers are constrained to use the style mandated by the managing editor although these “style books” are usually not made public. It seems useful to provide a few words on writing styles used on this blog but note that this is separate to management of comment content which is discussed here. Although the intent is to follow the usual rules of spelling and English grammar, formalities such as the use of titles such as “His Worship” or even “Mrs.” are avoided in favour of using styles used in polite conversation. Likewise as long as it’s clear who is being referred to, first names are used freely. Punctuation and Capitalization are used to keep sentences clear but may not follow some traditional rules. The intent is to avoid difficult to follow jargon as often used in Press releases – especially by the Police, lawyers and bureaucrats – and to make articles easy to read and easy to understand. This paragraph may be expanded if there are additional explanations required.
Policy on Public Announcements
Some events or causes get publicity and other do not and it may seem that this is arbitrary but it is not. Entertainment events (that is, events intended to entertain) are listed in the Cobourg Internet Entertainment Calendar here but a post is only written on events like a political announcement when they are a “News Event”. Generally this means a Press conference, the presence of politicians, the media are invited etc. Please don’t simply email me and ask me to “help publicise this worthy cause.” It may well be worthy but it has to be a news item to get in this News Blog.
To get an email at 8:00 am when there has been a new post, you need to subscribe here.
Unlike some other news sources, there are NO “sponsored” news items – Sponsored means paid for. No “news” on this site is paid for. The only advertisements on this site are Google Ads and are labelled as such. Their content is determined solely by Google – although I have specified that some types of ad are excluded.
- Comments are allowed – see this separate page for full details;
- You can subscribe – that is get an email whenever a new post is made. Emails are sent at 8:00 a.m. Subscribe here.
- You can sort posts by Tag (listed in a side box)
- The count of hits is more accurate since a repeat visit is only counted after 4 hours instead of more often;
- Ability to like or dislike comments (thumbs up/down).
- Repeat comments will use the name you just used;
- Comments will be updated as they happen (every 30 seconds) and while you watch.
- The requirement to include a user name and email will be enforced;
- Integrated Photo galleries with a slide show – but also “click to enlarge” on individual photos.
- Excellent management of spam (more on this on comments page)
- Easily print an article.
- If you are registered and login, you can edit a comment for 3 hours after you posted it;
- All new posts are tweeted – a recent change means they will have improved quality at the expense of being delayed a bit – not all tweets will include an image. Twitter account is cobourgatheist.
Although the site is compatible with all Browsers, for best experience with photo galleries, when using a phone please note the following:
Site works best with one of the following (as tested on an Android phone):
- Use the Desktop site (when on the site, use your menu to select the desktop site) OR
- Using Firefox browser instead of Chrome OR
- Before expanding photos or viewing slide show, turn your phone to view page in landscape mode (I use Chrome and use this method).
The site uses WordPress and URLs as follows:
Any of these URLs can be used to access the site. Note that WordPress is hands down best for sites where comments are allowed – few will dispute this. That’s what this site uses. In my opinion, Joomla is best for sites that do not require comments although it is not as suitable for website neophytes. That’s what’s used for Cobourg Internet.
The site is secure (encrypted).
The site and the server will be regularly updated to the latest versions of all software, plugins etc used. There may be occasional short outages (up to a few minutes) when updates are done.