This site is called a blog because comments are allowed and encouraged. Articles strive to be neutral. Perhaps “Cobourg News” would be a better name for the site.
The focus is Cobourg – not Port Hope or Northumberland. Not all news is covered – but if you feel something should be covered but is not, feel free to email me at email@example.com If it fits per the criteria below, and it’s of local interest, I will likely post on it. For a list of other online sources of news in Cobourg, go here.
News coverage is intended to be unbiased and neutral – an exception is the Category “The Passing Scene”, an opinion column by Grahame Woods.
News items covered:
- Cobourg Council Meetings – occasionally County Council – also Municipal activities
- Provincial and Federal Politics that directly affect Cobourg
- Major crime like hold-ups but not minor crime like domestic disputes
- Elections in Cobourg and related politics
- Business issues – including some Real Estate updates
- Significant Police activities
- Citizen activism
- Announcements and major or unusual events in Town.
- Anything significant enough about Cobourg to get in Toronto or National papers.
- An opinion “column” by Grahame Woods – these items are collected under the category “Passing Scene”. These are NOT to be considered unbiased news but represent Grahame’s opinion.
Items NOT covered
- Most sports events – unusual or major events may be mentioned.
- Fundraising (although Fundraising events will often be listed on the Entertainment calendar)
- Community meetings – instead see this list of Community organizations.
- Community notices such as weddings, deaths, engagements, births
- A repeat of news previously announced
- Church announcements.
Other information about Cobourg
- There is a whole lot of information about Cobourg at the parent site: Cobourg Internet
- Included there is a comprehensive Entertainment Calendar, Transit info and Council/Town info
Policy on Public Announcements
Some events or causes get publicity and other do not and it may seem that this is arbitrary but it is not. Entertainment events (that is, events intended to entertain) are listed in the Cobourg Internet Entertainment Calendar here but a post is only written on events like a political announcement when they are a “News Event”. Generally this means a Press conference, the presence of politicians, the media are invited etc. Please don’t simply email me and ask me to “help publicise this worthy cause.” It may well be worthy but it has to be a news item to get in this News Blog.
To get an email at 8:00 am when there is a new post, you need to subscribe here.
Unlike some other news sources, there are NO “sponsored” news items – Sponsored means paid for. No news is paid for. The only advertisements on this site are Google Ads and are labelled as such. Their content is determined solely by Google.
- Comments are allowed – see this separate page for full details;
- If you are registered and login, you can edit a comment for 3 hours after you posted it;
- All new posts are tweeted;
- You can subscribe – that is get an email whenever a new post is made. Emails are sent at 8:00 a.m. Subscribe here.
- You can sort posts by Tag (listed in a side box)
- The count of hits is more accurate since a repeat visit is only counted after 4 hours instead of more often;
- Ability to “Like” a post.
- Ability to like or dislike comments (thumbs up/down).
- Repeat comments will use the name you just used;
- Comments will be updated as they happen (every 30 seconds) and while you watch.
- The requirement to include a user name and email will be enforced;
- Integrated Photo galleries with a slide show – but also “click to enlarge” on individual photos.
- Excellent management of spam (more on this on comments page)
- Easily print an article.
Although the site is compatible with all Browsers, for best experience with photo galleries, when using a phone please note the following:
Site works best with one of the following (as tested on an Android phone):
- Use the Desktop site (when on the site, use your menu to select the desktop site) OR
- Using Firefox browser instead of Chrome OR
- Before expanding photos or viewing slide show, turn your phone to view page in landscape mode (I use Chrome and use this method).
The site uses WordPress and URLs as follows:
Any of these URLs can be used to access the site. Note that WordPress is hands down best for sites where comments are allowed – few will dispute this. In my opinion, Joomla is best for sites that do not require comments although it is not as suitable for website neophytes.
The site is secure (encrypted).
The site and the server will be regularly updated to the latest versions of all software, plugins etc used. There may be occasional short outages (up to a few minutes) when updates are done.