The focus is Cobourg – not Port Hope or Northumberland. Not all news is covered – but if you feel something should be covered but is not, feel free to email me at email@example.com If it fits per the criteria below, and it’s of local interest, I will likely post on it. For a list of other online sources of news in Cobourg, go here.
News coverage is intended to be unbiased and neutral – an exception is the Category “The Passing Scene”, an opinion column by Grahame Woods.
News items covered:
- Cobourg Council Meetings – occasionally County Council – also Municipal activities
- Provincial and Federal Politics that directly affect Cobourg
- Major crime like hold-ups but not minor crime like domestic disputes
- Elections in Cobourg and related politics
- Business issues – including some Real Estate updates
- Significant Police activities
- Citizen activism
- Announcements and major or unusual events in Town.
- Anything significant enough about Cobourg to get in Toronto or National papers.
- An opinion “column” by Grahame Woods – these items are collected under the category “Passing Scene”. These are NOT to be considered unbiased news but represent Grahame’s opinion.
Items NOT covered
- Most sports events – unusual or major events may be mentioned.
- Fundraising (although Fundraising events will often be listed on the Entertainment calendar)
- Community meetings – instead see this list of Community organizations.
- Community notices such as weddings, deaths, engagements, births
- A repeat of news previously announced
- Church announcements.
Other information about Cobourg
- There is a whole lot of information about Cobourg at the parent site: Cobourg Internet
- Included there is a comprehensive Entertainment Calendar, Transit info and Council/Town info
Policy on Public Announcements
Some events or causes get publicity and other do not and it may seem that this is arbitrary but it is not. Entertainment events (that is, events intended to entertain) are listed in the Cobourg Internet Entertainment Calendar here but a post is only written on events like a political announcement when they are a “News Event”. Generally this means a Press conference, the presence of politicians, the media are invited etc. Please don’t simply email me and ask me to “help publicise this worthy cause.” It may well be worthy but it has to be a news item to get in this News Blog.
To get an email at 8:00 am when there is a new post, you need to subscribe here.
Unlike some other news sources, there are NO “sponsored” news items – Sponsored means paid for. No news is paid for. The only advertisements on this site are Google Ads and are labelled as such. Their content is determined solely by Google.
What pages have comments
New comments are enabled for news items for the current year for 90 days. Old comments will not be deleted.
How to Comment
Under the heading “Leave a Reply”, click in the box where it says “Start the Discussion”. Or click on reply under a specific comment. Enter your comment then be sure to enter a name and your email address. The email address is not published but must be provided. It is used for the notify feature and for the rare occasion that a moderator communicates with commenters. If you are not logged in, click the ReCaptcha box.
Comments that include slander, spam or hate messages will be deleted. Spam includes any attempts to sell products or services or soliciting votes in an election. Slander includes any personal attacks. For example, don’t call someone a liar. Most attempts at spam are automatically deleted – others will be manually deleted.
Comments should be related to the subject of the post or to the previous comment. Unrelated comments will be deleted (unfortunately, this is sometimes a grey area).
Your name should be unique – don’t use “anonymous” or any other name already used. If you bypass these requirements, your comment will be deleted. Many blogs require 100% registration – the only thing I ask is that you identify yourself – is that so hard? Once a name is chosen, continue to use that. If you pretend to be two (or more) different people, your name may be edited and you risk being banned – it will also help you with repeated comments if you use the same name.
Your Email must be real (that is, it must work and be valid) – if not your comment will be deleted and you will be banned from further comments. If you email me (this means you would be using a valid email), I will likely “un-ban” you.
Comment Rules and Features
- Comments are limited to 2500 characters. After 200 words, comments will include a read more tag to see the rest of the comment.
- You may edit your comment for up to 3 hours.
- If you do not wish to comment but would like to have a say, click one of the voting buttons under each comment to approve or not.
- New comments are disabled after 120 days.
Immediately before the Reply text box is an option to be notified of follow-up comments. You can choose to be notified of all comments or just those responding to your comments.
It is not necessary to register to comment but once registered it’s easier since you don’t have to pass the captcha test each time. There are thousands of spammers who would love to spam this site; many of them would like to register as a user so they can write spam comments at will. Because I get so many of them asking to register, I have now changed the system. If you want to register, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to be registered – please provide your real name and your online name. If you are from Cobourg or nearby and your email is valid, I will do that. Once you are approved, you will get an email allowing you to change your password. Click the link to set your password. In future, to login click the login link in the side column. Note that your email and real name will be kept confidential. This policy applies to new users – existing users are still valid.
- If you are registered and login, you can edit a comment for 3 hours after you posted it;
- All new posts are tweeted;
- You can subscribe – that is get an email whenever a new post is made. Emails are sent at 8:00am. Subscribe here.
- You can sort posts by Tag (listed in a side box)
- The count of hits is more accurate since a repeat visit is only counted after 4 hours instead of more often;
- Ability to “Like” a post.
- Ability to like or dislike comments (thumbs up/down).
- Repeat comments will use the name you just used;
- Comments will be updated as they happen (every 30 seconds) and while you watch.
- The requirement to include a user name and email will be enforced;
- Integrated Photo galleries with a slide show – but also “click to enlarge” on individual photos.
- Excellent management of spam (more on this below)
- Easily print an article.
If you suddenly cannot get access to the site at all, chances are that you have been inadvertently locked out. There are a number of reasons this can happen – blame it on an over-zealous anti-spammer/hacker program. If this happens, you can wait a couple of months to be automatically unblocked or contact me and I will unblock you.
Occasionally, your comment will be accepted but not published. Generally I can and will manually authorize your comment. The symptom of this is a delay in becoming visible. The most common reason for this is that you included more than one link (URL) but there are other less obvious reasons.
Note that because spammers are aggressive, counter-measures must also be aggressive – so don’t be surprised if you occasionally get mistaken for a spammer – or if you are a spammer, that you got blocked. In the last year, about 200,000 spam comments were blocked compared to 4,500 legitimate comments that were allowed.
The site uses WordPress and URLs as follows:
Any of these URLs can be used to access the site.
The site is secure (encrypted).
The site will be regularly updated to the latest versions of all software, plugins etc used. There may be occasional short outages (up to a few minutes) when updates are done.